Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Server and client time falling out of sync with Windows time server.

Hi there,

I have two Xserves running 10.6.2, one is acting as an Open Directory server, the other is currently only running Netboot and file sharing.

All my clients are 10.5.8 except the machine I'm building a new client image on which is 10.6.2.

The OD server is bound to a Windows domain for authentication and uses the NTP service of the Windows domain controller, so do all the clients.

My 10.6 client image was bound and logging in fine on friday and I have returned today to be presented with "User can not be logged in at this time" message. All my 10.5 clients can still log in.

I also noticed that my OD server had fallen out of sync with the Windows NTP service by 4 minutes, selecting Date & Time from System Preferences caused a hang and I had to force quit System Preferences, however on relaunch it loads normally and the time is synced to the NTP.

I checked the 10.6 clients and it had exactly the same issue, same hang in System Preferences and resynced on second launch.

I decided to check the 10.6 server running Netboot and again it was 4 minutes out, Date & Time in System Preferences hangs, fine on relaunch.

Having resynced the times with the NTP server I'm still not able to log in from the 10.6 client, however all 10.5 clients seem to be behaving normally.

Sorry for the long post, I'd assume it was the OD server if it wasn't for the fact that it was happening to all three of these machines.

My own personal laptop which is not bound to the domain or the OD server but IS set to use NTP server is behaving normally.

Thanks in advance!!

Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Nov 30, 2009 2:45 AM

1 reply

Server and client time falling out of sync with Windows time server.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.