Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Frequent postfix "master exit time has arrived" error messages in the log

I'm seeing this in my mail.log every minute:

Dec 1 12:27:46 Executor postfix/master[6394]: master exit time has arrived
Dec 1 12:27:46 Executor postfix/master[6399]: daemon started -- version 2.5.5, configuration /etc/postfix
Dec 1 12:28:46 Executor postfix/master[6399]: master exit time has arrived
Dec 1 12:28:46 Executor postfix/master[6406]: daemon started -- version 2.5.5, configuration /etc/postfix
Dec 1 12:29:46 Executor postfix/master[6406]: master exit time has arrived
Dec 1 12:29:46 Executor postfix/master[6409]: daemon started -- version 2.5.5, configuration /etc/postfix

This does not seem to be normal behavior. Is something misconfigured here? How can I fix this?

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Dec 1, 2009 9:33 AM

8 replies

Dec 1, 2009 3:52 PM in response to fieldsnyc

the system doesn't really need it. you can turn it off without any ill effects unless you are using command-line mail and it doesn't sound like you do. run the following terminal commands

sudo postfix stop
sudo launchctl unload -w /system/library/launchdaemons/org.postfix.master.plist

you'll have to enter your admin password (which you won't see) after the first command. that's normal.

Dec 21, 2009 10:50 AM in response to fieldsnyc

just experienced this and found your thread while looking for an answer.

do you have any thing in /var/spool/postfix/maildrop ? if there is something there, then launchd will keep launching postfix.
(ls /var/spool/postfix/maildrop)

i had a file there, and the permissions were wrong for it to process. so it kept launching, but never was able to clear the folder.

i did a chmod 775 on that document ( something like: sudo chmod 755 /var/spool/postfix/maildrop/* ), and that has fixed it after years of issues.

i'm not sure it's the best answer, but worked for me.

Message was edited by: neuralstatic
btw, i had tried to disable the launchd entry for it, but that was no help.

Frequent postfix "master exit time has arrived" error messages in the log

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.