Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

StartupItems Folder Permissions

Everytime I start MacOS 10.6.2 on either of my two Mac Pro's, I get the following error:

"Insecure Startup Items Folder Detected"
Items in the Startup Items folder (“/Library/StartupItems/”) have not been started because the folder does not have the proper security settings.

Although I have not sensed or found anything that was not working, the error is getting very annoying. Does anyone know, or know where I could find, the correct permissions for the StartupItems folder and it's contents?

Mac Pro, MacBook Pro, Mac Mini Server, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Dec 2, 2009 2:16 PM

4 replies

Dec 16, 2009 10:18 AM in response to V.K.

Thanks for the information. I was not very comfortable to dive right into the Command Line Interface, but I was able to use chmod & chgrp to fix my problem on the MacBook Pro. Still need to finish fixing the Mac Pro, but I am confident you solved my problem.

I did have some folders and files (some hidden) in my StartupItems Folder that needed repair, but I resolved some of them by just discarding them since I had no ill effects from not having them running prior to the repair. So far so good.

Feb 9, 2010 2:28 AM in response to Nikaya

Open a terminal window (Utilities->Terminal.app)

chown - changes ownership of a file/directory
chgrp - changes group of a file/directory
chmod - modifies permissions of a file/directory
sudo - enables you to take a super user role for the proceeding command

You can use any of the above commands with a "-h" flag to get help on using the command. The following sequence of commands will set the directory correctly:

cd /Library/
sudo chmod 755 StartupItems
sudo chown root StartupItems
sudo chgrp wheel StartupItems

You can verify by using: ls -la
In the results you should see:

drwxr-xr-x 4 root wheel 136 Feb 8 18:39 StartupItems

You may also find this intro to command line for Mac (GUI) users helpful:
http://db.tidbits.com/article/7003

StartupItems Folder Permissions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.