Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it safe to put a surround sound speaker close to my new 27" iMac?

The subject about covers it.

I used to keep my right surround sound speaker (cheap Bose) next to my PBook. Now I have this great new iMac with the backlit LED screen and I'm concerned that this may not be such a good idea. As far as I could find out, it shouldn't have bothered the LCD screen on my PBook. The speaker is sitting on the floor now as I wait to find out if it can go back on the desk next to the iMac.

PBook G4 (on 10.41.11) and a iMac i5, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Dec 2, 2009 4:07 PM

2 replies

Dec 2, 2009 5:25 PM in response to CeeZeeCZ

The display is still LCD. The only thing that is "LED" (instead of CCFL) is the backlighting of the LCD. So there should not be a direct effect on the display, like with a CRT display. Those types of external speakers are usually also magnetically shielded. The iMac itself has a pair of fairly large speakers at the bottom of the display (with the magnetic part pointed up), probably a lot closer than you plan to place external speakers, and those do not have any effect.

Is it safe to put a surround sound speaker close to my new 27" iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.