Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

App updates not going after updating

Does anyone else have this?

I've had it 3 times now (both in iTunes and on the iPhone)

It says I have an app update, so I update the app. But then it STILL says I have the same app update to do and dont know how to get rid of the (1) that hovers on the app.

MacBook (4GB), Mac OS X (10.5.4)

Posted on Dec 3, 2009 7:20 AM

41 replies

Dec 4, 2009 3:05 AM in response to jannymark

I also have the same problem. It started earlier this week. It's always the most recently updated app that gets 'stuck' and iTunes thinks that it needs to download an update even though the update has already been downloaded and installed. Yesterday it listed an update for 'Trip Advisor' even though I had already downloaded and installed the update. This morning the same update was still showing. However, when I clicked 'check for updates', iTunes found other apps that required an update. It downloaded those and then 'Trip Advisor' disappeared from the list of updates and instead now the latest app to be updated is now stuck in 'update available' mode. Very frustrating. I have tried completely deleting the impacted apps and then re-downloading. Doesn't help.

I'm hoping this is a bug on the iTunes store and that they fix it soon. I'm using the UK iTunes store.

Regards,

Stuart

Dec 10, 2009 5:34 PM in response to T.Edwards

Me too! This has been quite frustrating for a month or so with small apps. Today I tried to update iBird Pro to the latest version, 1.8.4, and after the download, the old version (1.8.3) was still installed. I deleted the old version and "repurchased" the app (no charge since I had already purchased it), waited for the download to finish, and found the old version had been downloaded! This app is 367 MB in size, and I'm not sure what server it comes from, but someone is sure wasting their bandwidth (as well as mine)!

Dec 10, 2009 6:41 PM in response to T.Edwards

Having same problem past month or so too..spoke to apple support and they claim this is the first they've heard of this problem! Told me to uninstall Itunes and then reinstall. well that did not solve the problem..90% of the updates i download seem to be installing correctly (both on iphone and itunes), but right after the same updates show as available? takes 3-4X for it to finally update.I have to believe, though, its a connectivity problem with itunes, and not a hardware issue with our phones. Probably due to the high congestion of traffic due to too many users.

Dec 10, 2009 8:18 PM in response to jwlm123

I am now having problem as well. iBird Pro 1.8.3 will not update to new 1.8.4 and ebay will not update to 1.5.1 either, it remains on 1.5.0. You can't update in iTunes or from the phone. It says that they are updating and they download and look to install but when you check versions they are same old apps. I have installed another app just to see if it would kick start them but no luck. Uninstall and reinstall of the apps did not help either. I did this like before from both phone and itunes.

Dec 10, 2009 8:38 PM in response to T.Edwards

I started having this problem yesterday. I emailed Apple and their suggestion was to delete the app and re-download it. I had already tried that, which I had stated in the email. I also contacted the creator of one of the apps and their response was this is problem on Apple's end and they have been notified and should have it fixed soon.

I thought it was fixed as the apps I tried to update yesterday, downloaded fine today. All appeared well until other apps started popping up to be updated. I tried to update them but they are not downloading properly and disappearing from the list as they should.

Very frustrating.

Dec 11, 2009 9:48 AM in response to T.Edwards

I was able to download and install iBird Explorer PRO 1.5.4 today, after three previous attempts (a total of about 1.5 GB, nearly 3 hours with my not-fast-enough DSL connection). Albert Einstein's definition of insanity is "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Perhaps I'm ready for a straight jacket and a trip to the state mental hospital!

Seriously though, this seems to be an Apple iTunes store problem -- they are apparently not replacing the apps on their servers before the update is made available. I've not complained about this problem in the past as the files were small and were eventually updated without problems after a couple of days.

Note to Apple: If it really takes somewhere between 6 weeks and infinity for an app update to be approved, an extra day or two to update the servers shouldn't be a problem!

Dec 11, 2009 2:57 PM in response to T.Edwards

iTunes told me that there were updates to three more apps. Two of them downloaded and installed with no problems, but the third one (Whole Foods Market Recipes, version 2.0, 4.4 MB) is still the old version (1.0.3). Just for fun (?), I tried downloading the app several times, with the same result. Since I wasn't really expecting a different result, perhaps I'm not insane after all!

Dec 11, 2009 7:19 PM in response to jwlm123

Three new app updates showed up in iTunes and on the iPod -- PCalc RPN Calculator 1.9, i.TV 2.1.1, and Whole Food Market Recipes 2.0. After downloading all of the updates, the old versions are still in iTunes and the iPod -- PCalc 1.8.1, i.TV 2.1 and Whole Foods 1.0.3. I realize that they'll probably be updated in a day or two, but this is really annoying.

App updates not going after updating

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.