Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport signal fades and is inconsistant on ibook

I have an airport extreme base station with comcast. I have used wireless for several years and have not had any problems..... until the last few weeks.

I use OSX.4 with Extreme base station with a imac and ibook - imac has airport card, ibook has extreme card. I noticed the bands from my airport would show full signal then quickly fade to 2, sometimes 1, sometimes none.

I put in a new extreme card, changed channels, re started everything, and traded in my old RCA cable modem for a modern one. no luck.

I took my ibook to work where everyone uses wireless, and it did the same thing, so I am ruling out interference. My imac works fine. Everything is pointing to my ibook. The only thing I can think of is a bad update.

Could a date, virus, or bad update caused this problem?

Posted on Oct 4, 2005 8:09 AM

3 replies

Oct 7, 2005 12:39 PM in response to Marcia Milanowski

Here's something thats worth a shot.
Make sure that your base station is getting sufficient electricity.

Here's the deal... I had a router that was frequently fading in and out. I couldn't figure out why until I later learned that the AC Power adapter was somehow the wrong one.
It was like 5 volts, and the one that was supposed to be plugged in was 12 volts, and since there wasn't enough energy, the wireless signal would fade.

After i realized this, I went to check out my girlfriend's wireless router, since she was having a similar problem. It turns out that hers was plugged into a power strip, and so it wasn't getting enough energy, so I was able to fix hers by plugging it into its own outlet.

good luck!

David

Airport signal fades and is inconsistant on ibook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.