Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to remove a word from the spell checker?

How can I remove the word "fuer" from my spell checker? I meant to add the word "für".

I added the word "fuer" to the personal dictionary by mistake. Now I can not undo this mistake because the Ignore button for this word is grayed out.

*Here is what I did*: If you don’t want the word to be treated as an error, click Learn to add it to your personal dictionary. (In some applications, you can Control-click the word and choose Learn Spelling from the shortcut menu.)

*Here is what does not work*: If you accidentally add a misspelled word to the dictionary, type the misspelling in the Spelling and Grammar window and click Ignore, or Control-click the misspelling and choose Unlearn Spelling from the shortcut menu.

Thanks for your help.
Olaf

Mac Pro Early 2008, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Dec 3, 2009 7:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2009 8:02 PM

How to remove a word from the spell checker?.

That's easy.

Quit all applications that use the Spell Checker.
Go to Home/Library/Spelling and open the file named "en" (for English).
Delete the word(s) you don't want from the file, save the changes and quit.
Restart the application you were using with the Spell Checker.
6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 3, 2009 8:02 PM in response to Hauke_Haien

How to remove a word from the spell checker?.

That's easy.

Quit all applications that use the Spell Checker.
Go to Home/Library/Spelling and open the file named "en" (for English).
Delete the word(s) you don't want from the file, save the changes and quit.
Restart the application you were using with the Spell Checker.

Jan 22, 2010 5:17 AM in response to varjak paw

I found the file -thank you - but it did not solve my difficulty. Let me explain. I could not think how to spell ridiculous and spelt it phonetically, (i.e. 'rediculus') depending on the checker to correct it but pushed the Learn key in error. I had also told it to 'learn' two words in my address that showed up as spelling errors. When I look in the en spellings file the two words in my address are there but not 'rediculus' although Mail still does not show it as a spelling error and it still appears listed in the Spell Checker options.

How to remove a word from the spell checker?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.