Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The "Cover Flow" / "Album Artist" duplicate albums problem on the iPod

Hi Guys,

I've made some research about this issue and got to some interesting conclusions.

DISCLAIMER:
1. I searched the web and found people describing this problem since 2006 till 2009 and the solution always revolved around not using the "Artist" and the "Album Artist" tags like they should be used.
2. I did a lot of testing, including re-writing the ID3 tags in different versions and formats to rule out any issues around the tags themselves.
3. If the stuff I'm going to describe is already well known than sorry about that, I just couldn't find it anywhere.

PROBLEM:
An album that has a single Album Artist and different Artists appears several times in the iPod Cover Flow although it looks just fine in iTunes.
Tagging the tracks as "Part of a Compilation" only partially solves the issue since the album will appear in the iPod Cover Flow as a Compilation showing up in the end and not together with the "Album Artist" like in iTunes and like it should.
It seems to be a simple issue around the way the iPod uses the "Album Artist" tag but it also seems to be around forever and it's strange Apple hasn't looked into it.

RESEARCH:
Since I just bought a new iPod Classic, I was again looking into this issue and now I was getting annoyed, strangely the behaviour wasn't the same for all the albums that were suffering from the problem. I found that when the Artist was a combination of, for example:

Album - AlbumX
Album Artist - ArtistX

Track 1 - ArtistX
Track 2 - ArtistX Feat. X
Track 3 - ArtistX
Track 4 - ArtistX Feat. Z
Track 10 - ArtistX Feat. XYZ

In the iPod Cover Flow I got ONLY TWO different albums, one with "ArtistX" and another one with "ArtistX Feat. X".
Well, this was very different from the normal behaviour when the artists are all completely different, in which case you get X amount of albums according to the X amount of different artist names you have.

CONCLUSION:
It seems to have something to do with the dot ".", I reached the conclusion that for Artist interpretation in the iPod when the Artist tag has a dot "." then it stops interpreting. That means that if you had a "." after the main artist name than it will show only once, like in the above example:

Album - AlbumX
Album Artist - ArtistX

Track 1 - ArtistX. <---- NOTICE THE DOT
Track 2 - ArtistX. Feat. X
Track 3 - ArtistX.
Track 4 - ArtistX. Feat. Z
Track 10 - ArtistX. Feat. XYZ

Then in the iPod Cover Flow it will show up only once as AlbumX - ArtistX.

I prefer to use the dots instead of just removing all the "Featurings and similar" since I can still see it normally if I play the track.

So, in the end, a combination like this in your "Artist" tag: "Album Artist"."Artist" would solve the problem in the iPod.

I would love for Apple to solve this issue and I hope this helps.

Has someone else noticed this or am I going crazy? 🙂

Thanks!

iPhone 3G 16GB + iPod Classic 160GB, Windows 7

Posted on Dec 4, 2009 10:41 AM

15 replies

Dec 7, 2009 11:04 AM in response to turingtest2

My iTunes only has 1 album from a certain artist. There are no track s that say "artist feat. so and so" or anything like that. In my album flow view that one album shows up 5 times, all 5 albums have the exact same tracks on them so it's not like the album has been split up with some tracks on one of the displayed albums and some on another. I originally had selected to "manually manage" the songs I wanted on my new iPod Classic 160GB, but last night switched it to "auto sync" but selected only certain artists and playlists to sync. Then I let it do it's thing and when it was done syncing I scrolled through the iPod album flow and noticed this one album showing up 5 times. Only one of them appears in iTunes so why is it appearing 5 times on the iPod and how do I get rid of the dupes?

Dec 4, 2009 5:30 PM in response to nuba

Okay, I think I finally discovered why it happens to some and not all, that probably explains why not everyone complains about this issue.

Well, the problem seems to only happen when you have more than one album from the same artist.

So, if you have a single album from a specific artist and you use "Album Artist" and have different Artists within that album it should work fine in the iPod.

If you have more than one album from a specific artist and some of them need to use "Album Artist" then it starts acting funny.

If someone could experiment with this as well it would be great!

Dec 5, 2009 3:14 AM in response to nuba

Hi. Welcome to Apple Discussions.

You are correct in your observation that it takes a number of factors to trigger multiple covers. The iPod software takes no notice of the Album Artist field. As far as I can tell tracks for Cover Flow on the iPod are first ordered by Artist, then by Album, Disc No. & Track No. Once ordered in this way a new cover is generated each time the Album name changes. This suggests you need at least two albums by a given artist and at least one album, apart from the last album, needs to include a featured artist or spelling inconsistency. The "apart from.." bit explains why guest/featured artists don't always trigger multiple covers even when you do have more than one album by a given artist.

See my previous post on Grouping Tracks Into Albums for more info. on the causes and workarounds for multiple covers.

tt2

Dec 7, 2009 11:44 AM in response to D_Train

Hi, welcome to Apple Discussions

Without more detail or a screenshot to go on I would guess it's a minor spelling inconsistency in the artist name on different tracks. The iPod sees each new spelling as cause to display a new cover. The "Greatest Hits" bug then ensures that each of these albums have the same content. Two variations can easily give 5 covers, e.g. in the sequence AAAaAAaaAAA the case changes 5 times.

Use the method given in One album, still too many covers to ensure that the values are updated in iTunes even though everything looks OK there. iTunes is generally case-insensitive whereas the iPod is not. You may also need to remove the album from the iPod in one sync and then put it back again in antother to ensure the iPod's database is properly updated.

tt2

Dec 7, 2009 11:40 AM in response to D_Train

Interesting, here's a brieg follow up with more info:

I went into my iPod and listed music by Artist rather than cover flow, and this artist and album shows up 5 times, but it says "1 song" on 4 of them and "6 songs on the 5th". but when I click OK to see that 1 song all 10 songs appear, as they do on the other 4 "copies" of this artist/album. ***?? (scratching my head)

I also went in to my sync settings and tried unchecking this artist and resyncing, then selected him again and resynced again (after manually doing a "get info" on every track trying to figure out why the album is kinda being split up but everything looks OK?) but the album still shows up 5 times. Arghhh.

I know Apples answer will probably be "you need to buy a Mac!" ha ha

Dec 7, 2009 11:52 AM in response to D_Train

Select all the tracks from the Album. Use CTRL-I to "Get Info". On the Info tab xhange the artist to read ArtistX, change the album artist to ArtistX and change the album title to AlbumX. On the Sorting tab put check marks against *Sort Artist*, *Sort Album Artist* and *Sort Album*. Clear any contents they may already have (you can replace later). Finally on the Options tab put a tick against *Part of a compilation* and make sure the drop down box reads No. Click OK. Get Info again and remove the trailling X's, click OK. Remove the album from the iPod. Put it back on again... Fingers crossed.

tt2

Jan 24, 2010 4:41 AM in response to nuba

It seems "adding a dot at the end of the main artist name" does not work for me.

If you set the "Sort Artist" tag to ArtistX then the Cover Flow on your iPod will be OK. This will also make the Artist List in iTunes look better (i.e., "ArtistX Feat. X" etc. will NOT appear in the list). But unfortunately the Artist List on the iPod will become more disastrous than that with "Sort Artist" = empty (you will find there are lots of duplicate entries in the list).

There seems to be no way to escape from this "feat. guest" problem.

Jan 24, 2010 6:42 AM in response to turingtest2

I know your workaround (and your good summary) but I have lots of songs with "feat. guest" and manually moving them into track titles is out of question. I can write an Apple Script to do that, but I feel that is not the correct way to go, because "feat. guest" is obviously not a part of the title but of the Artist, and once Apple fix this bug (well the possibility is low but..) I must move them back into Artist.

Jan 24, 2010 7:01 AM in response to Jun T.

I've been hoping for a fix for two & half years and, I suspect others have waited much longer. I don't like having to use the workarounds but it's more important for me to have a tidy library/iPod/iPhone than dig my heels in. That said, sometimes the offical title of a release does include the \[Feat. Guest\] info. again suggesting that if one has to use a workaround this is the appropriate way to go...

If you can write a script to go one way then I'm sure you could write one to reverse the moves should Apple ever decide to fix this "feature".

tt2

Jan 25, 2010 6:42 AM in response to turingtest2

sometimes the official title of a release does include the Feat. Guest info.

Yes, but only in some (or many) cases. There seems to be no consistency here, as if Apple were paying no attention about where to put "feat. guest". And I guess most of the data in CDDB (Gracenote) still have "feat. guest" in Artist (correctly, in my opinion).

I quite agree that your workaround is the best workaround. I'm just too self-willed (obstinate?, I don't know the correct English) and don't want to pollute my Library with "wrong" data. Most of the problems would simply be solved if, just if Apple make iPods sort/group artists as iTunes do. Sorry but this is how I feel. I guess you can't help people like me. Thank you for your patience.

Anyway, we need a clear document from Apple describing what are the intended uses of various tags, and iTunes/iPods should obey this document. It seems for me that each Apple engineer is doing just what (s)he wants to do, without any guidelines.

The "Cover Flow" / "Album Artist" duplicate albums problem on the iPod

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.