Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to connect with USB wireless modem?

With Leopard I had no problem connecting to the Internet with a USB wireless modem provided by Safaricom (cell phone service) in Kenya. Snow Leopard does not "see" the modem in Network and the software cannot be operated. What can I do to make the modem work? Safaricom tech service could not rectify the problem.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Dec 5, 2009 10:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2009 10:34 PM

It may very well be that the driver for the modem is not Snow Leopard compatible and that you will have to wait for them to make a SL-compatible driver. Safaricom tech service should be able to find out whether the driver for the usb modem is Snow Leopard-compatible or not. I've seen at least two third-party's products' drivers be broken by Snow Leopard. In such event, the only "fix" would be to roll back to 10.5.8 or find an alternate hardware product whose software driver was known to be Snow Leopard compatible.
4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 5, 2009 10:34 PM in response to kenyadan

It may very well be that the driver for the modem is not Snow Leopard compatible and that you will have to wait for them to make a SL-compatible driver. Safaricom tech service should be able to find out whether the driver for the usb modem is Snow Leopard-compatible or not. I've seen at least two third-party's products' drivers be broken by Snow Leopard. In such event, the only "fix" would be to roll back to 10.5.8 or find an alternate hardware product whose software driver was known to be Snow Leopard compatible.

Dec 6, 2009 7:56 PM in response to j.v.

Thanks j.v., I rather thought that might be the problem. I am currently working on a hard disk from my previous MacBook Pro with OS 10.5.6 that died on me after only 1.4 years use (a logic board failure I was told by a Mac agent in Nairobi). I've had the HD converted to a USB plug-in to my new MacBook Pro. I restart my computer using that old hard disk so I can access the Internet, but it is most inconvenient not being able to exchange emails and surf the Net (I download a lot) and, as I just realized, update Norton and other software on my new Snow Leopard hard disk.

Dec 8, 2009 11:12 PM in response to kenyadan

Unfortunately, it seems that Apple broke this functionality in Snow Leopard. I have yet to see any report that it works with any connection. I tether my phone to the computer to access the internet and right now, I use my PowerBook with Leopard and share the connection to this computer.

I've even tried using it through Bluetooth but it's a dodgy connection and I often have to restart the phone as well as the computer to get both working again.

How to connect with USB wireless modem?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.