12 Replies Latest reply: Dec 7, 2009 3:01 PM by Ziatron
prestoncrawford Level 1 Level 1
Seriously. Is there any hope at this point of Apple getting a handle on this? I'm about to walk into the "Genius" Bar on Monday and get my 3rd iPhone in 3 months. This is too much of a hassle. When the rubber meets the road I need a mobile phone with a calendar. That's the real thing I need. I'm seriously inclined to pick up a Treo, go back to Sprint and call it good.

Before I do that, though, I wanted to get some idea if Apple had any plans to get on top of this.
  • roaminggnome Level 10 Level 10
    We have no issue with our batteries.

Unless Apple announces, which they almost never do, there is no way to know what their plans are and speculating is against the terms of use of this forum.
  • hcvone Level 1 Level 1
    I have two 3Gs phones for my wife and I, we have no battery issues, both of us get two days out of a charge, but with all these owners reporting issues there must be a problem.
  • Tamara Level 6 Level 6
    Actually, considering the number of iPhones out there, it seems the battery problem is quite small even though these forums make it appear like a big problem.
  • prestoncrawford Level 1 Level 1
    My problem isn't the day to day.

I guess I should have worded my question better. This is what's happening to me. When I first got my iPhone I got relatively incredible battery life from it, for a smartphone. I could play some games, watch a movie, a couple TV shows, listen to some music and still have half of my battery life left.

The problem is this I got that great battery life for a while and then one day the battery just went bad. I would take the phone off the charger and in a couple hours the battery would be dead. Completely dead.

This happened to me a month ago and I had to get Apple to replace the phone. A couple weeks later the exact same thing happened to my wife. Also a 3Gs. Now I've been on 3 5 - 7 hour flights in the last 3 weeks. I had a flight on Wednesday. On the flight I watched TWO movies, I played some games, I watched two episodes of the Colbert Report, two episodes of the Daily Show and listened to music the rest of the way. Awesome battery life.

Then, just yesterday, 3 days later, I pulled the phone off the charger and it was dead within 2 hours. Same thing last night. Down to 30% after 2 hours.

So the question is more this. I've learned with my other phones (Centro, G1, HTC Touch Pro 1) that you're never going to get great battery life with a smartphone. However, my experience with the iPhone has informed me that it's possible to do lots of stuff with your phone and end the day with enough charge to make all the phone calls you'll need. The problem is, none of those earlier phones had this problem where the battery would just take a nose-dive. That's the only reason I'm seeking a solution to this. This is completely abnormal to my previous smartphone experiences.

If I could find a phone that could give me 80% of the iPhone's daily battery life, but didn't require me REPLACING the phone every month I'd go there at this point. However, I love the iPhone too much and I want there to be a solution.
  • Lawrence Finch Level 8 Level 8
    expertise.macosx
    Mac OS X
    What you describe is not a battery problem, it is a software problem on the phone. Either an app that uses Notifications is consuming power when it shouldn't, or one of the built in apps is. The most common built-in that can do this is mail.

First try turning off Notifications in Settings (if it is there) and reboot.

If this doesn't fix the problem and you have any push email accounts go into Settings and turn them off and reboot. Then turn them back on.

Turn off Fetch if you don't have Push accounts.

If you still have a problem try to Reset Network Settings. The only thing you will lose is passwords.

The final test, if all else fails, is to do a Restore and set up as a new phone. Don't reload your backup, and don't reinstall any apps. Try it for a day or two. If you still have a problem it probably is hardware, but this is highly unlikely.
    I'll look at that. Kind of depressing to have to turn everything off, though. Might as well have a flip phone at a certain point.
  • Lawrence Finch Level 8 Level 8
    expertise.macosx
    Mac OS X
    You're not turning it off permanently. Only to diagnose where the problem is. Once you have identified the problem you can turn everything back on.
    Turned almost everything off and I'm at 40% after 3 hours of light usage. Better, but something has fundamentally changed.
  • Lauren Friedl Level 1 Level 1
    *****. Cause some people have jobs were they have to use there phone and cant always charge it
  • paulcb Level 6 Level 6
    If it were mine, I'd restore it as a new phone (not from backup), recalibrate the battery meter by fully discharging and fully recharging the battery and then re-setup my email and sync my music, videos etc. I would not install any apps for a few days and see how it worked. I would then install apps, most important first and go from there.
  • Ziatron Level 4 Level 4
    expertise.desktops
    Desktops
    3.01 Firmware was the answer for me. My battery will last 3-5 days.
  • Monty1945 Level 3 Level 3
    Greetings,

No problems here. I get what they advertise, all things considered. I'm satisfied, and many others that I know are, as well. We have a few hundred in our Users Group.

Cheers,
    M.