Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

Can Apple even fix 3Gs battery life? Thinking of going back to Palm Treo...

1299 Views 12 Replies Latest reply: Dec 7, 2009 3:01 PM by Ziatron RSS
prestoncrawford Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Dec 6, 2009 3:00 AM
Seriously. Is there any hope at this point of Apple getting a handle on this? I'm about to walk into the "Genius" Bar on Monday and get my 3rd iPhone in 3 months. This is too much of a hassle. When the rubber meets the road I need a mobile phone with a calendar. That's the real thing I need. I'm seriously inclined to pick up a Treo, go back to Sprint and call it good.

Before I do that, though, I wanted to get some idea if Apple had any plans to get on top of this.
  • roaminggnome Level 10 Level 10 (89,270 points)
    We have no issue with our batteries.

Unless Apple announces, which they almost never do, there is no way to know what their plans are and speculating is against the terms of use of this forum.
    powerbook g4, iMac 20, Mac OS X (10.6.1), airport express, iphone, ipod, ipod touch
  • hcvone Level 1 Level 1 (20 points)
    I have two 3Gs phones for my wife and I, we have no battery issues, both of us get two days out of a charge, but with all these owners reporting issues there must be a problem.
    Windows XP
  • Tamara Level 6 Level 6 (13,720 points)
    Actually, considering the number of iPhones out there, it seems the battery problem is quite small even though these forums make it appear like a big problem.
    MacBook , Mini (10.5.8), Airport Express, iPhone 3G x 2, Mac OS X (10.6)
  • Lawrence Finch Level 7 Level 7 (24,555 points)
    What you describe is not a battery problem, it is a software problem on the phone. Either an app that uses Notifications is consuming power when it shouldn't, or one of the built in apps is. The most common built-in that can do this is mail.

First try turning off Notifications in Settings (if it is there) and reboot.

If this doesn't fix the problem and you have any push email accounts go into Settings and turn them off and reboot. Then turn them back on.

Turn off Fetch if you don't have Push accounts.

If you still have a problem try to Reset Network Settings. The only thing you will lose is passwords.

The final test, if all else fails, is to do a Restore and set up as a new phone. Don't reload your backup, and don't reinstall any apps. Try it for a day or two. If you still have a problem it probably is hardware, but this is highly unlikely.
    Lenovo T-60, Intel iMac , Dell/Ubuntu 8, iPhone 3GS 3.1, Windows XP Pro, Leopard 10.5.4
  • Lawrence Finch Level 7 Level 7 (24,555 points)
    You're not turning it off permanently. Only to diagnose where the problem is. Once you have identified the problem you can turn everything back on.
    Lenovo T-60, Intel iMac , Dell/Ubuntu 8, iPhone 3GS 3.1, Windows XP Pro, Leopard 10.5.4
  • Lauren Friedl Level 1 Level 1 (25 points)
    *****. Cause some people have jobs were they have to use there phone and cant always charge it
  • paulcb Level 6 Level 6 (18,680 points)
    If it were mine, I'd restore it as a new phone (not from backup), recalibrate the battery meter by fully discharging and fully recharging the battery and then re-setup my email and sync my music, videos etc. I would not install any apps for a few days and see how it worked. I would then install apps, most important first and go from there.
    HP DV7 Laptop, Windows Vista, iPhone 3G 8GB with 3.12
  • Ziatron Level 4 Level 4 (3,255 points)
    3.01 Firmware was the answer for me. My battery will last 3-5 days.
  • Monty1945 Level 3 Level 3 (690 points)
    Greetings,

No problems here. I get what they advertise, all things considered. I'm satisfied, and many others that I know are, as well. We have a few hundred in our Users Group.

Cheers,
    M.
    20" iMac 2.33, iPhone 3G&3Gs, Air, Macbook Pro, Mini, Mac Pro Quad, AEBS N, Mac OS X (10.6.1), 17" iMac PPC, 17" iMac Intel, G-4 Tower, iMac Flat Panel, more

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.