Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't even log into the desktop

I got a crash or something last night when I opened 2 webpage loading with flash applications, and the system slowed down and then later on can't even get any response.(Still my mouse can move and the screen show the 2 pages without response) I couldn't click the force quit or restart it so I pressed the back button to force switched it off.

After that in this morning when I turn it on again, It stopped at the loading page and couldn't get into the desktop.

I tried several times reboot, and now when I turn it on, a floder button flash on the middle of the screen and I don't know what to do.

Please help thank you so much.

PS: I am not sure what my OS is, it's likely 10.4.(something)

iMac, Mac OS X (10.4.2), with microsoft OS installed

Posted on Dec 6, 2009 9:14 AM

6 replies

Dec 6, 2009 9:39 AM in response to konrinn

Hi konrinn, and a warm welcome to the forums! 🙂

Could be many things, we should start with this since it is Disk Problems likely...

"Try Disk Utility

1. Insert the Mac OS X Tiger Install disc that came with your computer, then restart the computer while holding the C key.
2. When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu. (In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)
*Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Disk Utility.*
3. Click the First Aid tab.
4. Select your Mac OS X volume.
5. Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk."

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106214

Then try a Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at bootup), run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions, reboot when it completes.

(Safe boot may stay on the gray radian for a long time, let it go, it's trying to repair the Hard Drive.)

Very Important, how much Free Space is on your Hard Drive first of all?

can't even log into the desktop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.