Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to set DNS using Google 8.8.8.8?

I have read here that I need to set DNS properly for the Admin Tools to work faster, etc...

I have a basic home LAN setup, with dynamic IP from the ISP. Gateway is an Airport Extreme.

Right now the 10.6 mini Server gets DNS from DHCP off the Airport. And the Airport gets DNS from Google at 8.8.8.8

So, how do I change these settings? Get Airport to query the server at 10.0.1.6 for DNS? And set the server DNS to 8.8.8.8?

My server name is set as myServer.private (or whatever) and is DHCP with manual address at 10.0.1.6 over WiFi

Please help! Thanks!

Thanks.

MacBook Pro 17", Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Dec 6, 2009 10:05 AM

9 replies

Dec 13, 2009 9:41 PM in response to MrHoffman

Hi. Sorry, maybe we are looking at different versions of Server Admin (?). Mine is Snow Leopard Server and there is no check box or radio button to "enable the nameserver IP zone name and the DNS server IP address or host name (via the plus sign)..."

I see all the other options (administrator email address, zone transfer option and the mailserver) but no option to type in a numeric IP address.

When I click + all it shows is ZONE, which is what I typed above under Primary Zone Name. And the other field is Nameserver Hostname, which looks to want a non-numeric name. Or is THAT where I type in a numeric IP address?

Dec 6, 2009 10:42 AM in response to objectively

Open Network preferences and select the port then click on the Advanced button. Click on the DNS tab. Click on the [+] button to add a DNS to the list. These will take precedence over the default picked up by the router from your ISP. However, whatever DNS you configure it must be accessible. If not then you will find it impossible to navigate the net or the network will return to the default assigned by the DHCP server.

+BTW you should never post a real IP address in the Discussions unless it is a public IP address.+

Dec 8, 2009 12:57 PM in response to objectively

Are you running your own DNS server? If so, then you (also) need to set the forwarder IP addresses to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 in your DNS server configuration. See [this|http://labs.hoffmanlabs.com/node/1436].

If you are running your own DNS service (for more than just your local Mac OS X Server box), then your firewall and static-configured NICs and DHCP server settings will all (usually) be aimed at your own DNS server(s).

Dec 8, 2009 8:51 PM in response to MrHoffman

Thanks. I did find the other link that was posted

http://labs.hoffmanlabs.com/node/1436

But the instructions there did not seem to 100% match what I saw on the Server Admin screens.

What I am trying to do is to allow my Mac clients (laptops) to see the server's name instead of IP address

the server now is at 10.0.1.6 on the network (DHCP manual IP) but for example typing "http://myServer.private" (or connecting via COMMAND + K) is meaningless right now.

I had set a forward zone to 8.8.8.8 under SERVER ADMIN -> DNS -> SETTINGS -> FORWARDER IP ADDRESSES but I don't see what I am supposed to do (from the above Web page) for the ZONES tab

The ZONES tab now has reverse look up entries:
7.1.0.10.in-addr.arpa. (reverse)
myServer.private (machine entry)

BONJOUR is turned off right now

thanks...

Dec 9, 2009 8:18 AM in response to objectively

But the instructions there did not seem to 100% match what I saw on the Server Admin screens.

And the skew being? It's difficult for me to answer this and to address the confusion here without knowing what the difference was.

What I am trying to do is to allow my Mac clients (laptops) to see the server's name instead of IP address

the server now is at 10.0.1.6 on the network (DHCP manual IP) but for example typing " http://myServer.private " (or connecting via COMMAND + K) is meaningless right now.

Which means you need to set up local DNS. Or enable Bonjour / mDNS.

I had set a forward zone to 8.8.8.8 under SERVER ADMIN -> DNS -> SETTINGS -> FORWARDER IP ADDRESSES but I don't see what I am supposed to do (from the above Web page) for the ZONES tab

Your upstream DNS provider (Google or ISP or otherwise) is only relevant to those domains your server is not authoritative for. It does not have anything to do with your local DNS name resolution, and it's the local DNS resolution that's the central goal when running your own DNS server(s).

The ZONES tab now has reverse look up entries:
7.1.0.10.in-addr.arpa. (reverse)
myServer.private (machine entry)

Follow the instructions on that page. Clean out the default DNS zones created when you install Mac OS X Server Snow Leopard on your box. And add your forward zone and all your local host names into your local (private, internal) DNS forward zone.

And I don't use .private for local DNS, or a made-up address. I prefer to get and to register a domain, and use it (only) inside the firewall. Either a domain for internal use, or a subdomain of a registered domain.

BONJOUR is turned off right now

Which means no local mDNS, which means you either need to turn mDNS back on, or you need to set up your own DNS. And if you set up your own DNS, the only component or field or text box or DHCP server or router or client or NIC or whatever -- anything -- that refers to Google is the forwarding DNS server IP address(es) in your DNS server set-up.

Dec 12, 2009 9:44 PM in response to MrHoffman

Skew:

+"# Select Zones.+
+# Clean out all of the zones you see there.+
+# Add a forward primary zone for example.com. (note that trailing dot), and select the DNS server for that zone as 192.168.1.30 or whatever the IP address of your host (and now your DNS server)."+

OK I deleted all the zones.

Now, it says "select" the DNS server for that zone.

I don't see where I can type an IP address.

I clicked on the existing zones, click REMOVE.

Now, I click on ADD ZONE and then ADD PRIMARY ZONE.

Where is the IP address field?

I don't see any IP address field unless I add an A name. But that's in a later step.

So there's the skew.

My server is on 10.0.1.6 via DHCP from the Airport Extreme.

How to set DNS using Google 8.8.8.8?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.