Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fans stuck at 1600 RPM after 10.6.2 Update

I have a Mac Pro thats been upgraded from dual 2.0 Ghz Dual-Core Xeons to dual 1.86 Ghz Quad-Core Xeons (Xeon E5320 Overclocked to 2.33 Ghz).

I know there are a few other users out there that have done this mod, and I am wondering if any have experience any fan issues after updating to 10.6.2.

After the 10.6.0 install all is fine. Update to 10.6.2 and all fans but the power supply fan are stuck at 1600 rpms. I can move them higher, but not lower than 1600.

Mac Pro Dual 2.33 Ghz Xeon (Clovertown), Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Dec 6, 2009 5:15 PM

7 replies

Dec 7, 2009 9:26 AM in response to Jason Anthony

Be sure you've removed all of SMC fan control. Use Easy Find - VersionTracker or MacUpdate - to hunt for any remaining components.

If you are still unsuccessful then in addition to resetting the SMC/PMU try resetting the PRAM as well.

You may eventually need to reinstall SMC fan control in order to reset the fan speeds to normal levels then disable fan control and uninstall it.

Dec 7, 2009 7:35 PM in response to Kappy

Yeah, we're a design shop and our main client uses the set (there are 50 variations of the face). We have the T1 PostScript version which back in the day was almost $2000.00.

In the past we'd just replace the system (TT) version with the PostScript version. We tried this with 10.6.2 and the system wouldn't use the PostScrip version. Also, it won't load the PostScript version with FontBook or a third party font utility (with or without the TT version in the System folder).

Dec 7, 2009 7:47 PM in response to Jason Anthony

I'm sorry but I'm not sure why there should be a problem since OS X is compatible with PS fonts. Could be the font files you have are corrupted or there's an issue with your Snow installation.

The resident font expert around here is Kurt Lang. You could do a forum search on his name to find a recent topic he's in, then ask him about it. If you aren't successful searching let me know, and I'll try to get a message to him asking to help you in this thread.

Fans stuck at 1600 RPM after 10.6.2 Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.