Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Late 2009 iMac - Firewire 800 not backwards compatible :(

Have tried it with 2 FW400 external drives and my DV cam and the FW port would not recognise any of the devices. Tried 3 different 800>400 leads and they made no difference. Took it back to the Apple store and they tried it with a FW800 device and it worked but they could not get it to work with any of there 400 devices 😟

So, its in for repair (new logic board) and I have only had it for 3 weeks. Very dissapointed!!

Even tried to get the Apple reseller i got it from to swap it for a replacement but they said as I didnt report the fault within 14 days all they could do was a repair! So I am left without my iMac for a week.

Anyway, anyone else noticed this problem with the FW port?

Macbook Core Duo 2, iMac 21.5" (2009), Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Dec 7, 2009 4:09 AM

4 replies

Dec 8, 2009 5:02 AM in response to Paul J. Hart

Paul, I think they've spun you a bit of BS!

The 14 day period is a 'cooling off' period which is there for you to decide if you wish to keep the machine or not, for any reason. It is not the time you have to discover a fault. If it fails in the first 3 weeks then it's clearly not fit for the purpose it was intended, nor is it considered to be of merchantable quality. It is simply wrong to tell you that you have to have a repair. You are entitled to a refund or replacement. You have rights under the Sale of Goods Act. Have a look at this site.

Your Rights

Dec 27, 2009 11:49 AM in response to Paul J. Hart

Hey, im having a similar problem.
I had to buy a 400-800 adapter to change my video camerma 400 cable so that it will fit into my iMac "9,1" which i bought in the summer of 2009. The camera is reconized on my brothers laptob when i plug it into his firewire 400 port, but when i plug it into my computer through the 800 port "using the adapter" the device does not show up. I checked the system profiler and it says "Firewire bus. max speed 800mb/sec". When I plugged it into my brothers computer, it listed the name of my hd video camera.

either
1. my computer firewire port is busted..... I tried resseting the smc, pram nvram. did a hardware check. no hardware is broken.

or

2. the adapter is broken.. no way of checking.

3. Like paul said, you cannot go from 400 to an 800.

So im wondering if there any way to install some new hardware or do have to replace the mother board. i just dont want to be with out my mac for 2 weeks, and have all its memory wiped.

thanks

Late 2009 iMac - Firewire 800 not backwards compatible :(

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.