Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

McAfee SiteAdvisor software, a free download -- a good addition?

my internet provider, cox.net, offers the cited security software for mac. it may only work with firefox.

any experience with this package. some security s/w is more of a problem than it is worth. i am running the latest safari version 4.0.4

'09 iMac 24", 1TB, Mac OS X (10.6.2), ms office '08, cable modem/router, super duper

Posted on Dec 7, 2009 6:15 AM

11 replies

Dec 9, 2009 7:47 AM in response to Joe Matney

I don't wish to start a firestorm here--I mean this to be constructive and helpful, not to start an argument--but there are numerous other exploits, mostly running through Javascript, besides viruses. "Fraudulent Website" won't protect you against those. It may be true that Macs are far less vulnerable to these, and most aren't even directed at them, but some are platform independent. Macs aren't bullet proof.

And, there are plenty of sites, without being "fraudulent"--they won't make it onto Google's fraudulent list--that have either been hacked directly or indirectly (unintentionally, possibly through an advertising script, or XSS, Cross Site Scripting), or are directly intent on delivering a dirty payload of one kind or another. And, like a Trojan, or other similar malware, you don't get to make a decision to "Install" or not. There's so much more to this.

Firefox is the only browser--with the Add-On NoScript--I'm aware of that supports protection against these JS exploits.

It seems to me that even if there's only a small chance of picking something up, one would choose to take the path that would reduce that risk. I would love to see Apple offer some sort of Javascript protection with Safari.

And Site Advisor, or anything similar (like WOT), while far from perfect, can warn you about possible threats where Fraudulent Website probably won't.

Message was edited by: WZZZ

Dec 9, 2009 7:45 AM in response to WZZZ

so:
"Firefox is the only browser--with the Add-On NoScript" that protects against java script vulnerabilities.

this appears to me to be significant, and would tend to push us conservative mac users to confine our web browsing to Firefox with the Add-On NoScript.

i am tempted to do just that, although i prefer safari for a number of reasons -- primarily ease of use as it it the browser i am most familiar with.

are there other informed opinions out there?

j

Dec 9, 2009 8:08 AM in response to Joe Matney

Firefox with NoScript is definitely a PITA at the beginning, until you get used to it, and as it learns your preferences. Eventually, it pretty much gets out of the way and isn't very much trouble (a little, sometimes.) I think it's one reason, among others, Safari users are reluctant to switch over. I know I was one. I still use Safari as my secondary browser, but FF when I want to feel safer.

Dec 9, 2009 8:07 AM in response to Joe Matney

There's nothing to fear, and there's no reason to use Firefox over Safari. Firefox is certainly awash with extensions that let you do more things with it, but it sacrifices speed and compatibility when Firefox is updated.

There are some JavaScript exploits, but you as the user must still let those be executed, and they can do no harm to your Mac, since root access is needed, and that can only be accomplished by you providing the administrator password.

Don't be paranoid over something that is so inconsequential and unlikely to happen. I've been doing this a long time and I've never had a problem yet.

McAfee SiteAdvisor software, a free download -- a good addition?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.