Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SATA port multipliers on mac mini

Hello,
I was wondering if it's possible to connect 4 hard drives through a SATA port multiplier plugged to the SATA port instead of the superdrive...
Does anyone knows if the mac mini supports this technology? (I looked for the mac mini developer note, but the most recent I found was of the G4 mac mini...)

Thank you in advance
Matteo

Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Dec 7, 2009 11:09 AM

13 replies

Dec 11, 2009 4:46 AM in response to _Mr_

Good question, I've been wondering the same thing.

Thinking about getting a Mac Mini, and Snake a sata cable to an external HD sata enclosure that houses multiple drives. The only catch, the sata port on the motherboard must support multiple ports.

Apple is really behind the curve on this, i know they are looking into the 'next big thing' port wise with the intel light-port-watchacallit?? but esata is here now and will be around for a long time to come.

Dec 12, 2009 6:36 AM in response to DaddyPaycheck

I already have a free account at ADC...but i did not found any infos that could help me...

BTW, I found http://blog.fosketts.net/2009/03/23/super-mac-mini/#comment-15054384

This guy got a RAID setup of 4 HDs running through a port multiplier on a 1.83 GHz mini...

Now, the problem is to understand if also newest mac minis support PMs, and if mac mini's PSU can hook up also other four Hard Drives...

(Webshots here--> http://entertainment.webshots.com/album/574180083zoGosY?start=0)

Dec 12, 2009 8:17 AM in response to _Mr_

Hi, I already have a Q running on this list.

I have started a project to tap into the SATA connection of the optical drive (Superdrive?) of my Mac mini.

I have knocked up the hardware, and tried it, but using a G-Tech 1 Tb drive eSATA, It won't recognise the drive.

I have connected the same drive via a Sonnet Tempo card on my G5, the cabling works, the drive mounted, I also hooked it up to my G5 Drive 'B' SATA connector, that mounted too.

I am wondering if the Mac mini is looking for a DVD Drive instead of a Hard Drive on that SATA port. Is there any way of explaining to the Mac mini it has a HD attached?

My eventual goal is to connect a 1 Tb G-Tech RAID 0 drive to give a bit of zip to my data loading, and for occasional video editing.

Dec 12, 2009 9:45 AM in response to _Mr_

My understanding is the difference between SATA and eSATA is the design of the plug/socket SATA being non latching, eSATA being semi, or fully latching. I don't think there is any electronic, or digital control difference.

I noticed in the article "How Far Can You Push a Mac Mini" someone mentioned a poor contact being to blame for an initial lack of results. The connection does seem very tenuous, the connector has almost no grip, I have distorted the pins to give a bit more grip, but I am reluctant to do much more...

Dec 14, 2009 12:29 PM in response to _Mr_

I am using a SATA to eSATA lead removed from a PCI Card backplate and a modified gender reversing connector Male-Male.

Similar to this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190342062364&ssPageName=STR K:MEWAX:IT#ht765wt941

You may have to copy/paste the URL, I haven't figured how to do it properly yet.

This arrangement works with my G5 from the 'B' drive connector. I see no reason why it shouldn't work with the Mac mini optical drive connection.

I have tried a second time without success. It's not a huge issue, I would just like to crack it.

I am getting the idea a Mac Pro would be better suited for my needs and way of working. The Mac mini is an amazing little tool, but expansion is not it's strong point.

Message was edited by: Epochmaker

Dec 16, 2009 7:28 AM in response to _Mr_

maybe I found something very interesting...

4x1 SATA/USB Hardware Port Multiplier System Version (AD4SR5HPMUS)

http://www.addonics.com/products/host_controller/ad4sr5hpmus.asp

The description says it is OS independent and supports Hardware RAID; so when you attach it to your SATA port, your system will see it as a single hard drive...

Now I have to find if is there someone who sells it in Italy or at least somewhere closer than US

SATA port multipliers on mac mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.