Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New 3Gs - Auto-rotate not working

My wife just got a new 3Gs from her work. One thing that is bugging her (and me) is that we cannot get auto-rotate to work for anything. The keyboard, for instance, remains in the portrait orientation. We've tried rotating the phone both before and after bringing up the keyboard, but neither makes a difference. We've power-cycled the phone several times, but that made no difference.

Anyone run into this issue?

C2D iMac 21", Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Dec 7, 2009 2:29 PM

12 replies

Dec 7, 2009 3:27 PM in response to paulcb

The Contacts app itself (from the main app menu) rotates. If you go to Contacts through the Phone, it does not rotate. The Mail keyboard rotates. Still looking for SMS keyboard (we're new to the this thing)

Maybe I need to be a bit clearer...the keyboard I'm saying doesn't rotate is the one you get when you swipe left-to-right across the app menu.

Dec 8, 2009 7:03 AM in response to paulcb

Pardon me for being new to the great iPhone. It's not like these things come with any instruction beyond some very basic "how to make a phone call" notes. As for frustrating, how is one to know when a keyboard should, or should not, rotate. It looks to be the same keyboard whenever it appears and, if it rotates in one app, the natural assumption a user will make is that it should rotate in all apps. So, when it doesn't, it's also natural to think something is wrong. Especially when commercials for the thing show keyboards working in landscape mode. Frankly, it's bad UI when you have an important item like a keyboard behave differently in different apps. Doubly-so when you provide no instruction to warn the consumer that the keyboard doesn't act the same depending on the app. You know...a little "Does not rotate" note on the list of apps in the pdf you linked to (which says nothing about when the keyboard will rotate, so it still would not have answered my initial question). Excuse me for being a consumer instead of a geek.

Dec 8, 2009 7:19 AM in response to Thorzdad

Sorry, my frustration was certainly not in you're lack of knowledge. It was due to your lack of clarification in your posts... you first said nothing rotated and now it seems that many things rotate. This makes it difficult to diagnose your problem, which is what we try to do on here. Again, sorry for the curt response.

Dec 8, 2009 7:31 AM in response to paulcb

My apologies, too. I went overboard in my response. You're trying to help and I do truly appreciate it.

I suppose my frustration came from my assumption that a UI feature (the keyboard) should act the same across the board. The pdf you linked to is very useful (and should be included in the box) but still did not address the inconstant action of the keyboard. And, I'm dealing with a wife who wants to return the phone because she thinks it's not working right and really hates using the keyboard in portrait orientation. Oh well...

Thanks, again.

New 3Gs - Auto-rotate not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.