4 Replies Latest reply: Dec 8, 2009 12:19 PM by Ralph Johns (UK)
FUGW Level 1 (5 points)
Quick question: Can I use I Chat to communicate with someone that uses Yahoo? If so can someone explain this to me? I got an invitation via E-mail, and for the love of me I could not figure it out. I then looked in this Forum and I could not get the answer.

PowerBook, Mac OS X (10.6.2)
  • FUGW Level 1 (5 points)
    I have tried every possibility that I see possible with what you provided, and I cannot seemed to make the connection with Yahoo. As much as I hate being defeated, I am inclined to open a Yahoo account and do it that way. I just do not see how I can from IChat AV to chat with a Yahoo user.
  • FUGW Level 1 (5 points)
    I have tried every possibility that I see possible with what you provided, and I cannot seemed to make the connection with Yahoo. As much as I hate being defeated, I am inclined to open a Yahoo account and do it that way. I just do not see how I can from IChat AV to chat with a Yahoo user.
  • Ralph Johns (UK) Level 9 (71,131 points)
    Hi,

You Need a Jabber ID to use with iChat.

Ideally this will be a server that also has a Yahoo Transport.

AS iChat does not have Jabber Registration module and most Jabber Server register though a client rather than a Web Site you tend to have to use a third Party app like Psi.

Then you have to Register with the Transport as well.

Then you had to add you Yahoo Buddy (To your Jabber Buddy List). Their ID is likely to contain an @ symbol already so one has to be replaced (normally the % symbol) in the form recognised by the Transport.

The AllForces link tell you this in greater detail with pics.

See this list of Jabber Server and the Transports and other service they run.
    http://www.jabberes.org/servers/

Note at the top it tells you the difference between grey and coloured icons.

8:19 PM Tuesday; December 8, 2009

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"