Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New to IChat question about Cross communication w/ Yahoo users

Quick question: Can I use I Chat to communicate with someone that uses Yahoo? If so can someone explain this to me? I got an invitation via E-mail, and for the love of me I could not figure it out. I then looked in this Forum and I could not get the answer.

PowerBook, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Dec 8, 2009 2:39 AM

4 replies

Dec 8, 2009 12:19 PM in response to FUGW

Hi,

You Need a Jabber ID to use with iChat.

Ideally this will be a server that also has a Yahoo Transport.

AS iChat does not have Jabber Registration module and most Jabber Server register though a client rather than a Web Site you tend to have to use a third Party app like Psi.

Then you have to Register with the Transport as well.

Then you had to add you Yahoo Buddy (To your Jabber Buddy List). Their ID is likely to contain an @ symbol already so one has to be replaced (normally the % symbol) in the form recognised by the Transport.

The AllForces link tell you this in greater detail with pics.

See this list of Jabber Server and the Transports and other service they run.
http://www.jabberes.org/servers/

Note at the top it tells you the difference between grey and coloured icons.

User uploaded file

8:19 PM Tuesday; December 8, 2009

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

New to IChat question about Cross communication w/ Yahoo users

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.