Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Extreme Card

Not so knowledge on computers trying to get wireless connection on 3 computers ( Apple G5, PC [HP] and lap top PC[Dell]). Using the G5 trying to set up Airport Express just getting the message "Your Airport Express is on but can't find the Network"... trying to find answers to this problem I found I was supposed to connect the antenna cable to the Airport Extreme Card but to my surprise I can't find this one.... Where can I found it? Is this the real answer to my problem or just part of It?

Posted on Nov 8, 2005 4:42 PM

13 replies

Nov 8, 2005 4:55 PM in response to bartdive

Don't confuse the Airport Express with the Airport Extreme wireless network adapter card. I assume you are referring to the latter.

Do you have an iMac G5, or a PowerMac G5? Connecting the internal Airport antenna cable (as well as the external T-shaped antenna on a PowerMac G5) is critically important - without it, your Mac will get no wireless network reception.

Installation instructions for the iMac G5 20" (original version):
http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/imacG520inchAirPort.pdf

...for the iMac G5 17"
http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/imacG517inchAirPort.pdf

...for the PowerMac G5 (not the recent dual-core models):
http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/AirPort_Card.pdf

Nov 8, 2005 5:21 PM in response to bartdive

The new "dual core" PowerMac G5s have a wireless interface that must either be installed at the factory or by an Apple service center. You cannot install an Apple Airport Extreme card into one of these new PowerMacs on your own.

Was the Airport wireless interface pre-installed on your PowerMac G5? You can tell if it is by whether or not there is an Airport menu (fan-shaped icon) near the right side of the MacOS menu bar at the top of the screen.

Nov 9, 2005 6:50 PM in response to Henry B.

Thanks so much for the information. As I can see yes I have installed the Airport wireless interface... and Iike you said it seems my problem is the antenna because I don't have one. Reading more on this topic of discussion I found you already recommend where to buy it and I quote you... "This company will sell the part to you:
http://www.mac-pro.com/s.nl?sc=2&it=A&id=2036&category="
I already put my order hopping this put solution to my problem.... Until then I'll let you know if that's all solved it.

Nov 9, 2005 7:05 PM in response to bartdive

bartdive - my suggestions in that discussion only applies to owners of pre- "dual core" PowerMac G5s. Owners of a "dual core" PowerMac G5 with a factory installed Airport interface don't need these external antennas, since the Airport and Bluetooth antennas are integrated into the rear panel itself.

If you are getting an error message that says "Your Airport Express is on but can't find the Network" then you have some other problem, and NOT a problem with the Airport card or its antenna.

Nov 9, 2005 7:21 PM in response to bartdive

What make/model of wireless router are you trying to connect to?

Is SSID broadcast enabled on this wireless router - ie do all your other wireless Macs show your wireless network's name when you click on their Airport menu?

Do you see any available wireless networks listed when you click on the Airport menu of your new PowerMac?

Nov 9, 2005 8:10 PM in response to bartdive

This is a brand new PowerMac G5, you have a known working wireless router, and the PowerMac G5 is unable to detect your router's wireless network.

I suggest only one thing more, which is to change the channel your Airport Express base station transmits on (to either channel 1 or 11) to see if the PowerMac will then "see" the wireless network. To do this, run the Airport Admin Utility, select your base station, click Configure, click on the Airport tab, change the channel, then update settings to the base station.

If that fails to make a difference, I suggest you bring this Mac in to an Apple service center, and have them diagnose why its Airport wireless interface is not working.

Nov 10, 2005 8:17 PM in response to bartdive

First I want to apologize to be bothering with the same subject... but like I said since I started posting this matter I don't know to much about computers... I need to tell you I did not even get to set up my base station since I started... but a co-worker told me to set up this one directly... I did and I could do it but again no network.... If this nothing got to do don't pay attention and like You suggest this weekend I'll took to check the computer. Thx

Nov 22, 2005 9:25 PM in response to Henry B.

I wish this information was more clearly spelt out, together with all the other hype with improvements, etc. If it were, I would have had the card factory installed, instead of now having to wait for I don't know how long to have it installed by an ASP.

Why make it impossible for the new Dual Core G5 owners to install it themselves?

Airport Extreme Card

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.