Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Resources needed to integrate iTunes U with existing authentication?

I have been reading the on-line and PDF iTunes U Admin guide for a few days now.
I think I can handle most administration issues, but not how to integrate iTunes U with our existing authentication system, described here http://bit.ly/7oAzpp
I believe ours is LDAP based.
Not sure other staff have the time to do it. We may have some CS students that might be able to tackle it.
As an alternative, are there outside services that might specialize in this?
Any rough amount of hours or cost?
I am looking at options, and welcome any feedback.

Intel XServe, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Dec 8, 2009 8:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2009 2:23 PM

Well, if you have a Mac OS X Server sitting around someplace…just a computer with OS X Server running on it…I could probably do a quick-n-dirty setup in a couple of days. If your iTunes U portal is something else (Linux server running Apache, say), it could take a bit longer. I am not aware of anyone (outside Apple of course) that does this kind of thing. You -can- hire Apple to come and set it up for you.

Under OS X Server, I find dscl is just this amazing tool. It gives you a way to query a directory service and verify that a particular user can bind to the target directory (Active Directory, OpenLDAP, eDirectory, etc.). It also gives you a way to read directory attributes…which is useful for setting up specific permissions.

But if you can't use dscl, you might be able to achieve what you're after using OpenLDAP client software. It'd still take a bit of scripting/coding.
7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 10, 2009 2:23 PM in response to Frank Fulchiero

Well, if you have a Mac OS X Server sitting around someplace…just a computer with OS X Server running on it…I could probably do a quick-n-dirty setup in a couple of days. If your iTunes U portal is something else (Linux server running Apache, say), it could take a bit longer. I am not aware of anyone (outside Apple of course) that does this kind of thing. You -can- hire Apple to come and set it up for you.

Under OS X Server, I find dscl is just this amazing tool. It gives you a way to query a directory service and verify that a particular user can bind to the target directory (Active Directory, OpenLDAP, eDirectory, etc.). It also gives you a way to read directory attributes…which is useful for setting up specific permissions.

But if you can't use dscl, you might be able to achieve what you're after using OpenLDAP client software. It'd still take a bit of scripting/coding.

Dec 11, 2009 9:49 AM in response to richwolf

Hi, thanks for the offer. I have to talk to our network system admins, and see what their view is.
I know we have single-sign on now for Moodle
http://banyan.conncoll.edu/moodle/login/index.php
And Google Apps for Education
http://gapps.conncoll.edu
But I have to find out more about how they are authenticated, and if we can use a similar system for iTunes U. I can get a spare computer or two with Snow Leopard Server.

Now, is it possible to log into protected courses just with credentials or transfer scripts to control user access, and not use any kind of authentication against our systems?
It appears not from the admin manual, just checking.
That would make is simpler for us to just get started. We would rather not have the students obtain Apple ID accounts, which seems another alternative.
Thanks for all your useful feedback.

Dec 11, 2009 12:23 PM in response to Frank Fulchiero

Well, all the better. We use Active Directory to authenticate our users. 🙂 Every site is, of course, different, but if you're using Active Directory, and you can configure the Directory Services plugin on OS X Server to use it (usually easy), then you're about 90% of the way to getting a simple portal working. It's just a matter of scripting dscl.

Dec 13, 2009 6:23 AM in response to richwolf

Rich, when you have a chance to answer, if you could please let me know:

1. What technologies does one have to be familiar with to write up iTunes U authentication with existing authentication systems? In the sample download, there are files in C, Java, Perl and Python. Do you need to know all of these, in addition to HTML?

2. We are considering pilots with only a few faculty and 50-100 students. I am wondering if it would be any easier, in order to get started, to use OSX Server 10.6' Users and Groups and Open Directory for authentication, instead of our college's AD, and just manually enter the users. Due to security concerns, our network admins might find this more acceptable.

The above is for password protected courses. Would welcome any feedback when you have the opportunity.

Dec 13, 2009 11:26 AM in response to Frank Fulchiero

Frank, in answer to your questions…

Frank Fulchiero wrote:
1. What technologies does one have to be familiar with to write up iTunes U authentication with existing authentication systems? In the sample download, there are files in C, Java, Perl and Python. Do you need to know all of these, in addition to HTML?

You do not need to know any particular language…Apple's examples are just starting places. Each of those code samples does exactly the same thing, just in a different language. In addition to the samples that Apple provides, others have written similar code samples in languages like C#, VB.Net, and Ruby. "In principle", you could use a language not yet explored by others (say Erlang or Haskell or whatever)…but you would need to do pretty much what the other code samples do.

If I had to give a rough summary of what you would need to know to implement an iTunes U portal, it'd run like this:

1. You need to be able to setup a web server. It can be any sort of server with which you are most comfortable…IIS in Windows, Apache running on Linux, or OS X Server's web server (which is also Apache)…or even something else.

2. You need to know how to get CGI running on your chosen web server. The actual CGI code can be in any language you like (Apple's samples are in Perl, C, Python, etc., as you pointed out). But you need to know how to get CGI code installed and working on your web server. In addition, you need to know just enough about how the code works to adapt it to suit your specific institution.

3. You need to know just enough about how authentication works at your site to access it in code. "Usually" this is fairly straightforward…but Apple's code samples do not show how to do this—they can't because every institution handles authentication differently…some use LDAP, others Active Directory, some use Banner…others use things like eDirectory—each of these packages gives you a way to determine with a login or bind is going to work.

Frank Fulchiero wrote:
2. We are considering pilots with only a few faculty and 50-100 students. I am wondering if it would be any easier, in order to get started, to use OSX Server 10.6' Users and Groups and Open Directory for authentication, instead of our college's AD, and just manually enter the users. Due to security concerns, our network admins might find this more acceptable.

Certainly that would work. One of the nifty things about iTunes U is that you're not married to any solution you implement…you can always change/grow into something different later.

Dec 13, 2009 2:06 PM in response to richwolf

Richard, thanks so much for your detailed answers.
It would be good to have additional information from Apple, I think, describing authentication examples for some of the more popular directory systems.
A start-to-finish tutorial in how to use only Snow Leopard Server (apache, CGI, Users and Groups, Open Directory, etc.) for authentication to iTunes U would be great.
I need to digest it all, talk to our network admins, and see where to go from here. Your information has been exceedingly helpful.

Resources needed to integrate iTunes U with existing authentication?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.