Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can iMac work with a USB floppy?

I've purchased an old "*Newer technology USB Floppy Drive*" to use with a *Lime Green iMac* running *OS 9.2*
I have a picture of the box (I don't actually have the box)and it specifically shows the MacOS logo as well as the iMac logo. When I plugged it into the iMac I get a message that says it "can't find a driver for the USB device"that I attached. I have searched on-line though and can't even find any mention of USB drivers for the iMac.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Gary

BTW - I also tried hooking this drive to my *PowerPC G4* running 10.2, My Macbook in both OS10.4 and in Windows mode. Neither Mac recognized the drive. Windows (via Parallels) could see the drive but didn't recognize that I had inserted any disks.
😟

933mhz PowerPC G4, Mac OS X (10.2.x)

Posted on Dec 8, 2009 10:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2009 1:27 PM

Since it does not work on multiple computers, it may be defective. I have a generic USB floppy drive, and it works on Mac OS X without any custom driver (although I have not used it recently).

If you look at this product listing

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Lacie/706018/

it says it works as far back as Mac OS 8.6.

Note: USB floppy drives will not work with the older 800k floppy disks.
5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 8, 2009 1:27 PM in response to Gary Griner

Since it does not work on multiple computers, it may be defective. I have a generic USB floppy drive, and it works on Mac OS X without any custom driver (although I have not used it recently).

If you look at this product listing

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Lacie/706018/

it says it works as far back as Mac OS 8.6.

Note: USB floppy drives will not work with the older 800k floppy disks.

Dec 8, 2009 10:35 PM in response to Gary Griner

Speed shouldn't be an issue, as the data transfer rates of those drives is usually slower than USB 1.1 speeds (1.5 MegaBytes/sec). You may need the pre-OS X drivers (which aren't iMac-specific) for the floppy disk drive to be recognized, although the database of Apple's USB Support drivers in OS 9.x -> should provide support for it. Many USB floppy drives are rebranded Teac drives, so if you can get it to work in any computer (including a PC), you should be able to verify the manufacturer. There were several (pre-OS X) USB drivers (USB Floppy Driver, USB Floppy Enabler, and the USB StorageClassShim) that I installed, when I used a Teac USB floppy drive.

Can iMac work with a USB floppy?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.