Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Promise RAID controller reset - forgot IP

Hello All,

I figure some one in here has a new Promise RAID and can help me out. I lost my management IPs for the controllers. Anyone know if it is possible to reset the controllers or a way to figure out what the current IPs are?

Thank you very much! 😉

Support all Mac machines, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Dec 8, 2009 2:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2009 2:54 PM

If you followed the Promise setup guide, then you only changed the Virtual Management Port IP information. So, controller 1 should still be at 10.0.0.2 and controller 2 should be at 10.0.0.3. Below are the defaults for the Promise.

Component ::: Default Setting
Virtual Management Port IP address ::: 10.0.0.1
RAID Controller 1 IP address ::: 10.0.0.2
RAID Controller 2 IP address ::: 10.0.0.3
Subnet Mask ::: 255.0.0.0
DHCP support ::: disabled
User Name ::: administrator
Password ::: password

If you have physical access to the box, then I would recommend making a serial connection. The serial settings for Promise are...

Item ::: Value
Bits per second ::: 115200
Data bits ::: 8
Parity ::: none
Stop bits ::: 1
Flow control ::: none

Hope that helps!

Also, don't forget to do the Promise firmware upgrade. If you have an early unit, they made major strides in reliability on the management code.

Message was edited by: Nicholas J Lucia III
5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 8, 2009 2:54 PM in response to spraguga

If you followed the Promise setup guide, then you only changed the Virtual Management Port IP information. So, controller 1 should still be at 10.0.0.2 and controller 2 should be at 10.0.0.3. Below are the defaults for the Promise.

Component ::: Default Setting
Virtual Management Port IP address ::: 10.0.0.1
RAID Controller 1 IP address ::: 10.0.0.2
RAID Controller 2 IP address ::: 10.0.0.3
Subnet Mask ::: 255.0.0.0
DHCP support ::: disabled
User Name ::: administrator
Password ::: password

If you have physical access to the box, then I would recommend making a serial connection. The serial settings for Promise are...

Item ::: Value
Bits per second ::: 115200
Data bits ::: 8
Parity ::: none
Stop bits ::: 1
Flow control ::: none

Hope that helps!

Also, don't forget to do the Promise firmware upgrade. If you have an early unit, they made major strides in reliability on the management code.

Message was edited by: Nicholas J Lucia III

Dec 8, 2009 3:31 PM in response to spraguga

Gotcha.

On the serial port side, two hints, make sure you're not using flow control (hardware or software) and make sure you are using the Promise serial cable. It is wired differently than other serial cables that have the RJ-25 (6p6c) connector. The cable should be black and only positions 1-3 should be wired. I now carry the Promise cable with me as it is unique to Promise.

On the IP side, are all the machines Windows 98? If you have a Mac, you can use a tool like Flame ( http://husk.org/apps/flame/) to perform discovery. If you're on Windows (but something more modern), then you can use a tool like NetCure Discovery ( http://netcure.rocketsoftware.com/). If the controller management interfaces are running, they should report their IP addresses.

Hope this helps -- Nick

Dec 10, 2009 8:55 AM in response to Nick Lucia

OK, so Flame didn't work, this would only show what is on the local subnet and I had no idea what my Promise IPs were.

I tried the HyperTerminal again after restarting my PC and it finally took. Here are the results for both vtracks management IPs:
1st RAID:
10.0.0.1/255.0.0.0

2nd RAID, no IP at all:
255.255.255.255/0.0.0.0

It appeared through CLI that my 1st RAID had an IP but I still couldn't connect. And I couldn't make any changes in CLI due to an error: "No unconfigured physical drive available for new configuration." So I put it on my local switch and restarted the RAID through CLI. Luckily the vtrack picked up a new IP via DHCP on my local switch and I was finally able to connect.

The 2nd RAID is in production, so I'll have to try that at a later date.

Thanks for all of you help Nick!

Promise RAID controller reset - forgot IP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.