Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO or the NVIDIA GeForce 9400M

I'm looking at getting a refurb iMac.

They come with either the;
1)ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB memory
..or the
2)NVIDIA GeForce 9400M with 256MB memory

Both are the same price

Does anybody have an opinion on which one is best?
-thanks

all the latest of Leopard except the old Tiger eMac, Mac OS X (10.5)

Posted on Dec 8, 2009 8:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 9, 2009 2:36 AM

I'm not sure about pure graphics performance, but the one with the NVIDIA 9400M is one generation newer. So that iMac has more recent features, such as a Mini DisplayPort instead of the Mini-DVI port and support for up to 8GB of RAM versus 4GB (6GB unofficially). The NVIDIA 9400M supports OpenCL in Snow Leopard (this is the technology that allows the GPU to do non-graphics processing); the Radeon 2600 Pro does not support OpenCL.

On the other hand, the newer NVIDIA 9400M iMac uses integrated graphics. That means it uses system RAM for graphics. Although it has good performance, the older Radeon 2600 PRO iMac has dedicated graphics (and slightly faster clock speed), so its overall performance may be better (not counting the future potential impact from OpenCL and higher RAM limits).

You can compare the specs in more detail by reading the profile pages for the two models here

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/index-imac.html
5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 9, 2009 2:36 AM in response to Bobsax

I'm not sure about pure graphics performance, but the one with the NVIDIA 9400M is one generation newer. So that iMac has more recent features, such as a Mini DisplayPort instead of the Mini-DVI port and support for up to 8GB of RAM versus 4GB (6GB unofficially). The NVIDIA 9400M supports OpenCL in Snow Leopard (this is the technology that allows the GPU to do non-graphics processing); the Radeon 2600 Pro does not support OpenCL.

On the other hand, the newer NVIDIA 9400M iMac uses integrated graphics. That means it uses system RAM for graphics. Although it has good performance, the older Radeon 2600 PRO iMac has dedicated graphics (and slightly faster clock speed), so its overall performance may be better (not counting the future potential impact from OpenCL and higher RAM limits).

You can compare the specs in more detail by reading the profile pages for the two models here

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/index-imac.html

Dec 9, 2009 4:17 AM in response to Bobsax

I'd clearly go for the 2600.

I recently made a comparison of a computer with a 2600 XT (that's not even the pro) with a PC with a genuine (not mobile) 9400 GT and the 2600 beat the 9400 hands down. This was a PC performance check (actually Bootcamp Win7), but I guess the differences of hardware will show on any platform.

I guess it's safe to assume that the 9400M will have less performance than a plug in PCI card (even if it's on a PC) and the 2600 PRO will be better than a 2600 XT, so even a weaker 2600 beat a better 9400.

I also remember a few iMac discussions (google for "9400M vs. 2600") where someone said that the 9400 has 16 pipelines while the 2600 has 120 and that the 9400 uses iMac RAM while the 2600 has genuine VRAM.

I'm not an expert in graphics, but unless you are worring about heat and power consumption (the 9400M would be better in those regards) I believe you hardly go wrong with the ATI.

(One more consideration though: If you plan to use Windows with Bootcamp, NVIDIA tends to have better drivers ... I know first hand that the ATI2600 for Windows XP are lousy (they are great with Windows 7 though ... the 2600XT has a Win7 Graphics performance index of 5.8 here on a iMac 20" 2.4Ghz)).

ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO or the NVIDIA GeForce 9400M

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.