Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why are complex Smart Mailbox rules not available?

I wonder if this is a technical limitation in OSX Mail, or simply that Apple can't find a good way to present the UI.

Here are some rules I can create in OSX Mail for filtering or for smart mailboxes:

ALL rule: Find mails which are **in the last 31 days** AND **from user@example.com**

ANY rule: Find mails in the last month **from user@example.com** OR **from user@example.net**

Here's the rule I'd like to create, but can't:

COMPLEX rule: Find mails which are **in the last 31 days** AND ( **from user@example.net** OR **from user@example.org** )

The third rule there combines both ALL and ANY rules. I have yet to see a mail application which supports this form of query in smart mailboxes, yet it seems like a perfectly normal use case (eg, find emails from team members A, B, or C, and which also have quality X).

Smart mailboxes would be much more helpful if they were that little bit smarter.

MBP*2, eMac, iPhone etc, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Dec 9, 2009 2:35 PM

3 replies

Dec 9, 2009 2:48 PM in response to xurizaemon

if you are not into editing smart mailbox plists by hand you can esily accomplish this by creating multiple smart mailboxes and combining them into further smart mailboxes. say, make smart mailboxes 1 and 2 using a bunch of AND conditions and a smart mailbox 3 with the condition that a message is in smart mailbox 1 OR in smart mailbox 2. that said, it's really not clear why this has not been implemented into GUI directly. it's been like this for a very long time. that mac os x hint you found is 4 years old.

Why are complex Smart Mailbox rules not available?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.