1 Reply Latest reply: Dec 10, 2009 8:02 AM by V.K.
Erik J Lundeen Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)
Okay, so I finally stepped into Y2K and joined the rest of the world (albeit a bit late) in installing Leopard on my laptop. However, when I get to the screen where it asks for name and password, I don't know what to enter and no matter what I try I keep getting the annoying little shaky thing when I do it wrong, time after time.

I have never had a user id or password, so I don't know what to do here. I am not very tech savy, so please have patience with me. I know that when I used to try to install software, or download an update in 10.3, I was prompted for a password. Is that what they are looking for here? Or are they asking for something completely different? I don't even know what to put as my user name either.

I have scoured the forums and support sites reading about people with similar issues (from 2 years ago... I know)and they keep directing me to different sites. I have tried everything, and nothing seems to work.

First I tried this link: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1400?viewlocale=en_US

But I got a message saying that my password change would affect my keychain, but not my login (which does me no good if I can't log in!)

Then I tried this link: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1543?viewlocale=en_US

But as I was typing the part (dscl . -delete /Users/username AuthenticationAuthority), I was getting an error that said something like "NoNode..." or something like that. So I couldn't get this to work either.

My computer says my name (Erik Lundeen) on the startup screen, but I think my profile name is simply "erik". I have tried both of these as options to log in, as well as my password (the one I used to get asked for in 10.3 when I would install or update something)... which is simply and originally "mypass". But that doesn't work either.

I know this is very late in the game, but if somebody has any ideas or suggestions for how to get past this and back into my computer, I would GREATLY appreciate it!

Powerbook G4, Mac OS X (10.5)
  • V.K. Level 9 Level 9 (56,130 points)
    Erik J Lundeen wrote:
    Okay, so I finally stepped into Y2K and joined the rest of the world (albeit a bit late) in installing Leopard on my laptop. However, when I get to the screen where it asks for name and password, I don't know what to enter and no matter what I try I keep getting the annoying little shaky thing when I do it wrong, time after time.

I have never had a user id or password,

yes, you did. every user has an id and a password. the password may be empty but it's there.
    so I don't know what to do here. I am not very tech savy, so please have patience with me. I know that when I used to try to install software, or download an update in 10.3, I was prompted for a password. Is that what they are looking for here? Or are they asking for something completely different? I don't even know what to put as my user name either.

I have scoured the forums and support sites reading about people with similar issues (from 2 years ago... I know)and they keep directing me to different sites. I have tried everything, and nothing seems to work.

First I tried this link: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1400?viewlocale=en_US

this is the correct link to use.

But I got a message saying that my password change would affect my keychain, but not my login (which does me no good if I can't log in!)

no, that's wrong. it's the other way around. it will change your login password but not your keychain password so you won't have access to your old saved passwords unless you can recall what your old password was. use the link above.