Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ProRes 422 doesn't export alpha channel?

Hi all,

I have a video shot on a green screen.

I have to delete the green background and then export it with Apple ProRes 422. I manage to do all that without problem, but when I export it into After Effects, it doesn't recognize the Alpha Channel, interpreting the background as a solid black,.

The output that I need is a FLV for Flash, where its going to be online...

cheers,

Javier

Material is HDV (Sony Camera)

MacbookPro, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Dec 10, 2009 2:06 AM

4 replies

Dec 10, 2009 3:04 AM in response to amayajavier

Pro res 422 doesn't support an alpha channel. You need to export the video using the Animation+million codec. FCP 7 Pro res 4444 codec supports an Alpha channel

If you exporting to AE why not import the video directly into AE and use the Keylight plugin to do the keying. Keylight comes free with AE/Keylight does keying 100x better than FCP. Check your AE installation disc for the Keylight installer.

I have found that AE doesn't handle Pro res very will... I usually export from FCP to AE using the either the Uncompressed 10 or 8 bit 4:2:2 codec.

Dec 10, 2009 3:29 AM in response to David M Brewer

Well the thing is that I am doing several color correction that the Animation codec destroys completely... so the best outcome for the color correction is with the ProRes 422, unfortunately i don't have FCP7 for the 444 : (

I am trying now exporting the color corrected and with the green background as Uncompressed 10 bit, then I plan to import it in AE and key it from there... I tried this already but importing a ProRes422 file and the outcome was horrible... maybe it has something to do with the FLV format?

thanks for ur help,

cheers,

Javier

ProRes 422 doesn't export alpha channel?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.