Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I tell iCal which email address to use in Address Book?

iCal's help files on how to set an email alarm for iCal are clear as mud to me. If I click on alarm in Info of an event, select email as type of alarm, then a popup says must add card with name and own email in Address Book. Fine, click on Open Address Book. Well, then what? I already have more than one card in there with an email address for me. Even if I select one, nothing happens. So how do I make the connection? How can I tell iCal which card to use? I see nothing in Address Book menus or help files.

Dual 2 Power PC G5 (not Intel), Mac OS X (10.4.11), Safari 4.0.4, iCal 2.0.5 (1069), Address Book 4.0.6 (490)

Posted on Dec 11, 2009 5:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2009 5:59 PM

mackedout,

Quit iCal, and delete all your personal cards in Address Book. Then create a new personal card and designate it "My Card," by using Address Book>Card>Make This My Card.

Quit Address Book, and see if that helps your iCal problem.

;~)

User uploaded file
7 replies

Mar 8, 2010 2:19 PM in response to dan weisberg

If I have 9 email addresses for myself in my address card (don't even go there), how do I pick which one iCal uses for invitations. It recently switched from one work email address to an address that I don't want it to use. I don't know how it switched, when it switched, or why, but I want it to go back to using the original email address...

Thanks!

Steve

Apr 9, 2010 11:52 AM in response to parkerpress

Steve,

I have the same problem. Like you, I still haven't found a solution; but if it helps, I discovered empirically that iCal wants to pick the top address in the "Me" contact card.

The biggest problem I see is that there doesn't seem to be a way to sort the e-mail addresses in the card, and for some reason AddressBook wants to always put the "work" addresses first! I tried deleting all addresses and entering them in a different order, but when I re-open AddressBook the stupid "work" address is at the top again, and iCal wants to use it.

-dZ.

Jun 8, 2010 3:56 PM in response to mackedout

Hi Guys,

Been dealing with a similar issue for about 3 years now, so I know your pain. Apple will not solve this problem because they're a stickler for standards, no matter what the rest of the world really needs. Since I'm a developer at heart, I decided to tackle the problem on my own and built a software product called Zamain for Mac to support sending Apple iCal invitations from multiple Apple Mail email accounts. It also resolves common Apple iCal to Microsoft Outlook/Exchange problems. I originally built the product for myself, but soon realized that this can help others as well.

Although I know that this is a shameless plug for my product, I urge you to give it a try because it will really make your life easier. I have been using it every day for past 6 months and I can tell you that it saved me a lot of grief.

You can get Zamain for Mac at www.zamain.com.

Thanks!

-Jon

As per the terms of agreement, I must disclose that I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link above.

How do I tell iCal which email address to use in Address Book?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.