Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

One of three mail domains slow and delaying transfers

I have three mail domains on my server. I recently added the third domain and it is very slow and most of the mail is getting put into the deferred queue.

As far as I can tell all the user and domains are configured exactly the same.
user x gets mail on abc.com domain
user y gets mail on ghf.com domain
user z gets mail on mno.com domain <-- this one is the problem
all hosts go to the same IP and resolve correctly. mail is configured for all domains in the same way.

I've upgraded to apache 2, php 5, and setup roundcube web mail. I've only tried IMAP for the accounts checking with apple mail and the web mail through roundcube and the newest account is the only one having problems.

outgoing mail seems to work fine but incoming ends up on the deferred folder. I've issue 'postfix flush' and it still ends up back in the deferred queue.

x server g5, Mac OS X (10.3.x)

Posted on Dec 12, 2009 12:57 PM

10 replies

Dec 15, 2009 11:37 AM in response to pterobyte

Here is my attempt to send and email to the user account from my gmail account
Logging is set to high (via admin tool)

Dec 15 19:32:53 pine postfix/smtpd[10690]: connect from mail-yx0-f180.google.com[209.85.210.180]
Dec 15 19:32:54 pine postfix/cleanup[10683]: 32F745CDC1B: message-id=<509E4B10-3B92-4399-982A-0B91E78E9E41@gmail.com>
Dec 15 19:32:54 pine postfix/qmgr[1345]: 32F745CDC1B: from=<stiv.thomas@gmail.com>, size=1999, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
Dec 15 19:33:17 pine postfix/pipe[10672]: 022395CC4AA: to=<userx@abc.com>, relay=cyrus, delay=337919, status=deferred (temporary failure)
Dec 15 19:33:20 pine postfix/smtpd[10681]: disconnect from 174-153-141-138.pools.spcsdns.net[174.153.141.138]
Dec 15 19:33:24 pine postfix/smtpd[10690]: disconnect from mail-yx0-f180.google.com[209.85.210.180]

Dec 15, 2009 2:25 PM in response to Stephen Thomas2

I also saw this after doing a restart not sure if this was just a problem during start of the mail service or relates to the underlying issue.

Dec 15 22:18:44 pine postfix/pipe[11620]: 32F745CDC1B: to=<userx@abc.com>, relay=cyrus, delay=9951, status=deferred (temporary failure. Command output: couldn't connect to lmtpd: No such file or directory_ 421 4.3.0 deliver: couldn't connect to lmtpd_ )
Dec 15 22:18:44 pine postfix/pipe[11618]: 022395CC4AA: to=<userx@abc.com>, relay=cyrus, delay=347846, status=deferred (temporary failure. Command output: couldn't connect to lmtpd: No such file or directory_ 421 4.3.0 deliver: couldn't connect to lmtpd_ )

Dec 15, 2009 3:14 PM in response to Jeff Donovan

here is postconf -n (only the kingdomfiberart domain is not working)

alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
always_bcc =
command_directory = /usr/sbin
config_directory = /etc/postfix
daemon_directory = /usr/libexec/postfix
debug peerlevel = 2
enable serveroptions = yes
inet_interfaces = all
luser_relay =
mail_owner = postfix
mailbox_transport = cyrus
mailq_path = /usr/bin/mailq
manpage_directory = /usr/share/man
maps rbldomains = Multi.surbl.org,sbl.spamhaus.org,xbl.spamhaus.org,bl.spamcop.net,1.spews.dnsbl. sorbs.net,2.spews.dnsbl.sorbs.net,dnsbl.ahbl.org,dnsbl.sorbs.net
message sizelimit = 20480000
mydestination = $myhostname,localhost.$mydomain,mail.moonacrefarm.com,moonacrefarm.com,mail.chi llyhill.com,mail.coventryfallsalpaca.com,coventryfallsalpaca.com,mail.kingdomfib erart.com,kingdomfiberart.com
mydomain = chillyhill.com
mydomain_fallback = localhost
myhostname = chillyhill.com
mynetworks = 127.0.0.1,localhost,chillyhill.com,mail.chillyhill.com,mail.moonacrefarm.com,mo onacrefarm.com,mail.coventryfallsalpaca.com,coventryfallsalpaca.com,mail.kingdom fiberart.com,kingdomfiberart.com
mynetworks_style = host
myorigin = $mydomain
newaliases_path = /usr/bin/newaliases
owner requestspecial = no
queue_directory = /private/var/spool/postfix
readme_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix
recipient_delimiter = +
relayhost =
sample_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix/examples
sendmail_path = /usr/sbin/sendmail
setgid_group = postdrop
smtpd clientrestrictions = check recipientaccess hash:/etc/postfix/access2,check senderaccess hash:/etc/postfix/access,reject mapsrbl
smtpd enforcetls = no
smtpd pw_server_securityoptions = gssapi,cram-md5,login
smtpd recipientrestrictions = permit sasl_authenticated,permit_mynetworks,reject_unauthdestination,permit
smtpd sasl_authenable = yes
smtpd senderrestrictions = reject non_fqdnsender, reject unknown_senderdomain
smtpd tls_certfile = /etc/postfix/server.pem
smtpd tlsloglevel = 0
smtpd use_pwserver = yes
smtpd usetls = no
soft_bounce = no
unknown local_recipient_rejectcode = 550

Dec 15, 2009 5:03 PM in response to Stephen Thomas2

finally got it working
here's what I ended up doing (most done through admin and workgroup manager)
1. stop mail service
2. delete the user account
3. recreate the user account (different full name and initial short name)
-- used open directory auth
-- set mail mail option to smtp with server set accordingly
4. added short name the same as previous (matched /var/spool/user/[shortusername]
5. removed any aliases for the account from /etc/postfix/aliases (user name and short names are the only ones which will be used so no need for aliases)
6. restarted mail
7. ran newaliases, postalias..., postfix flush

check both apple mail and web mail (roundcube) and all is good. (now if someone would help with my ssh problem....)

One of three mail domains slow and delaying transfers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.