Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie '09 shows incorrect time of day in clip

I have both a Flip UltraHD and a Canon HF200. I have been using iMovie with both of them. Both seem to be working somewhat flawlessly. The only issue I have is that when I'm skimming video taken with the Canon, the date is correct but the time is off by 5 hours (shows time as 5 hours earlier). The date on the camera is correct and the Flip's time is correct as well.

Any ideas?

Using iMovie '09

24 inch iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.7), 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4 GM RAM

Posted on Dec 12, 2009 4:45 PM

15 replies

Jan 1, 2010 6:27 PM in response to ezweeb

Five hours off is suspicious if you are in the East coast. That would convert the time to Greenwich Mean Time, which could also be a default. I would recommend checking your camera to see if there is a setting for Time Zone as well as time of day. Come to think of it, if it is five hours early, it is probably a setting on the camera. If it is five hours late, it is probably a setting on the Mac. If it was on the Mac, all cameras should be affected.

Mar 17, 2010 11:21 PM in response to ezweeb

I had the same problem. So, I messed around with the current time zone setting on my Mac. My clips were off by 14 hours, so I moved my time zone ahead 14 hours, restarted iMovie and reimported from my Canon HF100. All the clips now had the correct time and the correct timestamped filename (allowing me to recreate an old project that I had saved). Hope this helps.

Mar 18, 2010 9:24 AM in response to bryston

This is very funny thread, as I noticed the same thing. It never really matter to me as it is the day that mattered , not the time, but I noticed it several times to the point that I keep checking the time on my video camera (Canon HG 10).

Maybe I should also move my camera's date to the future! You did this ONLY for the import or did you just leave it that way?

roger

Mar 22, 2010 5:57 PM in response to ezweeb

I have the same problem. However my video time shows 9 hrs ahead of actual record time after importing. Therefore, several of the video clips show an inaccurate date after importing. I've double checked my time/time zone setting on my JVC Enverio and my Mac and both are accurate. Someone mentioned GMT and for whatever reason this seems to have something to do with it since Okinawa is GMT +9:00 hrs. One thing to note is that I don't have this issue with iphoto using the same camera for still photos.

In the meantime I'll adjust the time on the video clips I import, but I hope there is a solution for this.

Apr 1, 2010 8:30 PM in response to ezweeb

I have this problem as well. I import video from various camera's and am experiencing a time shift on the imported footage. My Mac setting - time is correct, my camcorders ( digital format AVCHD ) are all set correct, however I am consistently getting the wrong time on the imported clip. I have checked the actual footage before importing and it displays the correct time in the file name, however after importing, you guessed it, the time is wrong........... Date and time is very important to my work and video processes.... any one know what's going on? A friend is also experiencing the same issues, different mac and camcorders... Hello Apple, you gotta know about this, how do we fix it?

iMovie '09 shows incorrect time of day in clip

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.