You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac CD/DVD support for LightScribe

Can you kindly indicate if LIGHTSCRIBE is supported within iMac 24 inch CD/DVD burner, so I can laser burn image onto lightscibe CD/DVDs?

I saw on Windows, my niece burned DVD with B&W image on face of DVD using LightScribe. I was curious if the iMac (and for that matter the iBook) also has CD./DVD support to do that (rahter than PRINTING with printer onto DVD) ? THANKS!

Mac 2.8/24", Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Dec 14, 2009 4:26 AM

1 reply

Dec 14, 2009 5:28 AM in response to UncleMarky08

No. Macs use Matsushita (Panasonic) brand drives. LightScribe is an HP product. You can purchase an external (USB) LightScribe drive, however. HP also resells and licenses their hardware to various vendors (for example LaCie makes a LightScribe USB drive), and there's Mac software support for them.

That said, my preference is to get an inkjet printer capable of printing on CDs and DVDs directly (HP, Epson, and Canon all make models with this feature), and using the disks with a plain-white surface. This is both much more colorful and legible. These disks are also cheaper than the LightScribe disks.

iMac CD/DVD support for LightScribe

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.