You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What creates this test.txt file that keeps appearing in my Home Folder?

Seems to have first appeared on 12/10, and was updated each day since, until I deleted it yesterday and a new document was created this morning.

It's just a simple TextEdit document, with a 0 as the only character of text.

Anyone know about this?

Thanks.

iMac Core 2 Duo 20" 2.16Ghz/3.0G RAM/250G HD, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Dec 14, 2009 5:08 PM

6 replies

Dec 14, 2009 5:56 PM in response to Storyboy

never seen this but it's pretty clear that one of your programs creates it as a temp file for whatever reason and doesn't clean up after itself. I'm not sure if it's worth trying to figure out which one is doing it. you can try if you like. did you install any apps recently? delete the file and next time it's created look at the creation time and try to determine what was running at the time. if the file is created on login you can try removing your login items one at a time and see if that affects the file creation.

What creates this test.txt file that keeps appearing in my Home Folder?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.