Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

View Invisibles as default setting?

2648 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Feb 9, 2010 9:38 AM by PeterBreis0807 RSS
coxorange Level 1 Level 1 (40 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Dec 15, 2009 3:53 AM
Is it possible to set the default for new Pages documents to "View Invisibles"
using a terminal command line like "defaults write com.apple.iWork.Pages..."?

Thanks!
Mac OS X (10.6.2)
  • fruhulda Level 6 Level 6 (14,830 points)
    Dec 15, 2009 6:09 AM (in response to coxorange)
    That would be nice! I usually use Show invisibles. They are of great help.
    PPC MMD (10.5.7), MBP 15", Mac OS X (10.6.2), 4 GB DRAM
  • Jerrold Green1 Level 7 Level 7 (28,270 points)
    Dec 15, 2009 6:27 AM (in response to coxorange)
    c,

Try creating a Template from a blank document with the View Invisibles turned on. Not sure this will work, but you can try it as easily as I can. I know that if I save a document with the View Invisibles option on, it opens that way the next time.

Jerry
    iMac G5 2G RAM, Mac OS X (10.5.8)
  • Level 8 Level 8 (41,760 points)
    Dec 15, 2009 7:50 AM (in response to coxorange)
    We may get this behavior if we create a custom template with this feature set.
    I looked in such a document ad found that the setting is stored in the property
    SFWPShowInvisiblesProperty
    Alas, when I installed such property in the preferences file, the newly created documents didn't reflect it.
    I searched in the inthebox templates, there is no such property so, I assume that this one is introduced by the application code itself.

I guessed a way to force it by default thru the inthebox templates.

Navigate to reach :
    Macintosh HD:Applications:iWork '09:Pages.app:Contents:Resources:Templates:Blank.template:index-iso.xml.gz
    or Macintosh HD:Applications:iWork '09:Pages.app:Contents:Resources:Templates:Blank.template:index-trad.xml.gz
    if you use American paper size.

Double click to expand it
    rename the original ,file as
    backup_index-iso.xml.gz
    or
    backup_index-trad.xml.gz
    In the expanded file, search for the string
    "</sl:SFWPCTShowDeletedTextProperty>"
    Just after it, insert the string:
    "<sl:SFWPShowInvisiblesProperty><sl:number sfa:number="1" sfa:type="c"/></sl:SFWPShowInvisiblesProperty>

Save the file.
    After that, every document created from this template will default to "Show Hidden Characters".

If you are interested, I may write a script able to apply the trick to every inthebox templates.

Yvan KOENIG (VALLAURIS, France) mardi 15 décembre 2009 16:50:23
    To be the AW6 successor, iWork MUST integrate a TRUE DB, not a list organizer !, Mac OS X (10.4.11)
  • Peggy Level 8 Level 8 (38,085 points)
    Dec 15, 2009 9:45 AM (in response to coxorange)
    Unfortunately for those of us who would like templates to open with invisibles showing, the Pages engineers have decided we can't. There is a workaround, though, for templates you create yourself. Save the file as a Pages document with the invisibles showing & then change the extension in Finder to .template. Now the template will have invisibles showing.

Of course, this doesn't work with the built-in templates, so I am just in the habit of typing ⌘ ⇧ i (& ⌘ ⇧ L for layout) when I open a template.

I suggest you leave feedback for the Pages team regarding this. You can find it under the Pages menu > Provide Pages Feedback. That takes you to the same page as this link.

24" 2.4GHz iMac; 15" unibody MacBook Pro 2.4GHz; G5 2.3GHz; 3G iPhone; TV, Mac OS X (10.6.2), 2GB iPod nano, 30GB 5G iPod, 17" G5 iMac, G4/700 iMac, PB 1400, Apple IIgs
  • elainfi01 Calculating status...
    Feb 9, 2010 9:35 AM (in response to fruhulda)
    I have a OS X 10.2.6 and have accidentally turned on an invisible feature that shows little arrows and dots in the text. I must have accidentally used a shortcut by hitting keys and do not know how to turn this feature off in the menu bar. I am in a database. Any suggestions out there? Elaine
    OS X 10.2.8, Mac OS X (10.2.x)
  • PeterBreis0807 Level 7 Level 7 (27,450 points)
    Feb 9, 2010 9:38 AM (in response to elainfi01)
    Are you talking about some other (unnamed) database program, or Pages?

Since this is the Pages forum, we will assume it is Pages:

+Menu > View > Hide Invisibles+

Peter
    Aluminium iMac 24" 2.8Ghz, Mac OS X (10.5.8), The closest you'll ever get to there, is here.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.