Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Annoying Tooltips

Whenever I roll my cursor over choosing an instrument, I get this annoying yellow box stating the obvious. Microsoft has the decency to allow turning this off, but not Apple. Anyone know how to stop this? Anyone know where in the code I could delete the text? Maybe that will help. Half he time it blocks the instruments I am looking for!!!

2.8 8-Core MacPro, Mac OS X (10.5.4), 2gb RAM

Posted on Dec 15, 2009 12:41 PM

6 replies

Dec 15, 2009 6:15 PM in response to Schneb

Schneb wrote:
Whenever I roll my cursor over choosing an instrument, I get this annoying yellow box stating the obvious. Microsoft has the decency to allow turning this off, but not Apple. Anyone know how to stop this? Anyone know where in the code I could delete the text? Maybe that will help. Half he time it blocks the instruments I am looking for!!!

Maybe you could scan the instrument list without your cursor hovering in the way, and only bring your cursor over after you find the instrument you're looking for.

Alternatively, as soon as a yellow box pops up, you could close your eyes as hard and fast as you can and, with your eyes still shut, move your cursor away from the instrument list and wait several seconds before reopening them, thus avoiding the brunt of the assault. :P

Dec 15, 2009 6:39 PM in response to MattiMattMatt

Yeah, really. Isn't that the stupidest thing. The only thing that is stupider is how Apple thinks we veteran GarageBand users are. "See this? This is not an instrument... no! This is an instrument C-A-T-A-G-O-R-Y. Now, go to the right a little more... that's it. NOW you can choose an instrument. Choose any instrument except the one underneath this condescending yellow box."

Dec 16, 2009 1:47 AM in response to Schneb

Hi Schneb! I understand that you're annoyed ... two hints:

• Pressing any key makes the yellow box disappear instantly.

• Here's something I found in some forum - no guarantee, and I haven't tried it: Use the Terminal program to set a delay of 10 sec for the box to appear:

defaults write -g NSInitialToolTipDelay -int 10000

To return to the normal behavior:

defaults delete -g NSInitialToolTipDelay

Annoying Tooltips

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.