Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost startup chime - tried everything

For some reason I have lost my start-up chime. When I boot into 10.4.11 on another hard drive it comes back so it is SL. I have run permissions, re-installed the combo 10.6.2 update, reset the PRAM. Nothing works.

Any suggestions?

Mac Pro 2.66 5gb ram, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Dec 16, 2009 4:19 PM

4 replies

Dec 17, 2009 6:31 PM in response to Cindy

Try resetting the computer's PRAM. It's simple, and Apple has a good document explaining the process: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379.

*Resetting PRAM and NVRAM*

Shut down the computer.

Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.

Turn on the computer.

Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.

Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
Release the keys.

Your computer's PRAM and the NVRAM are reset to the default values. The clock settings may be reset to a default date on some models.

Lost startup chime - tried everything

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.