Previous 1 2 3 Next 134 Replies Latest reply: Jan 20, 2016 3:24 PM by gerome760
dbcm Level 1 (0 points)
After upgrading to 10.6.2 and upgrading EFI FW (don't know if it's related) i noticed that my ethernet stopped working. It detects the cable signal tries to negotiate IP through DHCP, the DHCP server gives the IP but the en0 doesn't use it.

I also tried manually configure the IP and also it doesn't work.

tried also with a old version of SL that i know everything was working but it doesn't work now.

tested with other routers and nothing

tested with SL DVD and nothing

any clues?

Macbook, Mac OS X (10.6.2)
  • dbcm Level 1 (0 points)
    no one have this problem?
  • Eustace Mendis Level 7 (25,330 points)
    Sounds to me like the router has lost its way. How about resetting the router? Mine has a button that has a reset button one has to depress for 15 seconds.

But if you do that, you have to go through the whole 192.168.x.y routine to get the router and the computer talking to each other again.
  • dtowers1980 Level 1 (0 points)
    I had that problem today and my friend used the following procedure to fix it:

Go into System preferences
    Then Network preferences
    Click on "Advanced" button in bottom right corner
    Go to "Proxies" tab
    Uncheck (disable) the "Use passive FTP mode" box

This worked fine for me and internet clicked back on immediately. I have no idea what that did or why it wasn't working in the first place. But hey, it works just fine now...
  • WiFiPro Level 1 (0 points)
    I have this problem. It seems to be some kind of leak in the Ethernet driver. After using the wired connection for some time, it loses the ability to connect. It can't get a DHCP address, and assigning a fixed address doesn't help. Rebooting fixes the problem.

It is only on the wired Ethernet connection. The wireless connection works fine.
    When the Ethernet NIC is in the broken state the hardware still seems to work fine, since Wireshark can use it OK.

The problem seems to be related to the number of packets transferred. It will fail in about 20 minutes of video conversation, or a few days of regular Internet use.

It started with Snow Leopard, and has not been fixed as of 10.6.2.
  • Crx Pandion Level 1 (0 points)
    I have this exact same problem. As far as I can tell its as WiFiPro describes. This is incredibly annoying and I really really hope that apple fixes it soon.

Is everyone who has this problem running on a macbook?
  • Eric0099 Level 1 (0 points)
    I am having this problem also.
  • MacApple57 Level 1 (0 points)
    I also have this problem. I was able to connect using wireless on the road. But when I return home, I can't connect and the error messages is that Ethernet has a self-assigned IP address. I know it isn't a problem with my network devices because I can connect with my two other computers (one is PowerBook G4) just fine. I have also tried rebooting the laptop and the cable modem and hub. Nothing fixes the problem.
  • pierno Level 1 (0 points)
    same problem here. the pcs work fine on the wifi,my macbook doesn't work for the wrong ip assignen and the same thing if I try to set a static ip.
    I need piece of idea... 2 weeks without web.
  • ruchanziya Level 1 (0 points)
    I am having same problems, after a while ethernet loses its IP address and becomes self assigned, rebooting solves the problem. - just like WiFi Pro described. I am on system 10.5.8 and these problems started about a month ago.

Ruchan
  • baseliner Level 1 (0 points)
    Add one more to the list. I'm reporting this to Apple.
    dtowers1980 wrote:
    I had that problem today and my friend used the following procedure to fix it:

Go into System preferences
    Then Network preferences
    Click on "Advanced" button in bottom right corner
    Go to "Proxies" tab
    Uncheck (disable) the "Use passive FTP mode" box

This worked fine for me and internet clicked back on immediately. I have no idea what that did or why it wasn't working in the first place. But hey, it works just fine now...

This did not work for me.

Message was edited by: baseliner
    I've been communicating w/ Apple. One question that they asked was if running with VMWare uninstalled made any difference. Can anyone here confirm if they have this problem and don't have VMWare Fusion installed?
  • Tbone2000 Level 1 (0 points)
    Yep this started doing happening on my 17" Macbook pro! Cannot connect at all. No resolve.

2 other macbooks on my home network also connected by wired ethernet are fine so it's not the router etc... This is so frustrating!!!
    Do you have VMWare Fusion installed by any chance? I uninstalled Fusion yesterday and my MacBook's been running fine on Ethernet for the past 24hrs. Hopefully this will last...
Previous 1 2 3 Next