Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Corrupt?? Preferences folders look like this: ¿íq$tøˇ‘êí}ÿ@íq&–íq

while trying to correct other problems, I opened preferences folder and found many folders that looked like *¿íq$tøˇ‘êí}ÿ@íq&–íq.

I assume they're corrupt...should I just trash them??

Causes??

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.2)

Posted on Dec 17, 2009 9:08 AM

11 replies

Dec 18, 2009 12:48 PM in response to etresoft

I've used preferences to show gridlines and trashed excel's plist and still my new sheets come up with cell borders (total sheet) ...Even after eliminating borders from a sheet, borders show up at odd times like when I paste into a cell....some of my old, seldom used sheets have borders scattered through out and seemingly random...others are totally bordered even though they originally had only gridlines.

This originally happened instantly...I think I might have hit an odd key combo while working in Excel, but I wonder why it would apply to every Excel workbook and sheet on my computer.

(I have a couple of other Excel issues, is this the proper forum?)

Dec 18, 2009 9:32 PM in response to Klaus1

Klaus, think you missed the point....when you open a new sheet does it show gridlines, or borders??...mine now show borders and no matter what I do I cannot get a sheet to open without them....of course I can eliminate them once the sheet is open, but I don't want the default opening to be with borders....plus all the other problems...

Feb 9, 2010 11:25 AM in response to Gordon A Bonnel

I was having a similar problem: an empty folder with a name with odd characters was created in my user Preferences every time I launched Photoshop Elements 4. The odd folder was created when the Photoshop application was "Building TWAIN menu items...". Since the Epson Scanner TWAIN driver was suggested as the problem, I moved the file "/Library/Image Capture/TWAIN Data Sources/EPSON Perfection 3170.ds" to a different folder, and the problem went away. (I replaced the Epson scanner a couple of years ago, so I don't need the file in any case.)

Corrupt?? Preferences folders look like this: ¿íq$tøˇ‘êí}ÿ@íq&–íq

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.