Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Late 2006 Graphics Card Upgrade?

Hi,

I have one of the many many late 2006 24 inch iMacs with the faulty nVidia geForce 7600GT graphics / video cards. I know there are tons of threads on this but I still have not found a reasonable solution that doesn't include junking the computer.

The computer is basically unusable. I have horizontal lines and constant freezing gray screens on it within 10 minutes of use. I'm fairly computer savvy and willing to do the work myself if I have the option to replace the card, but I'm not sure if I do. If I purchase another 7600GT, am I going to experience the same issues anyway? Is there another PCIe card that works in this system?

I cannot and will not give Apple another $1600-$2000 right now since this computer is only 3 years old, so any recommendations will do!

Thanks for any help in advance.

Oh and p.s. - I have already implemented the smcFancontrol fix. It helps but is not a solution.

iMac 24", MacBook 13", Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Dec 17, 2009 3:39 PM

7 replies

Dec 17, 2009 8:16 PM in response to Kane507

You cannot replace the video card. It is welded to the motherboard (logic card).
You have a machine that is only worth what the parts are worth. Not much.
Enjoy your new iMac.

Dec 18, 2009 6:58 AM in response to rkaufmann87

From my understanding the Late 2006 *24 inch* iMacs graphic cards are not soldered in. That's what I had read in my research. Many topics state that it is only soldered in on the smaller size iMacs, no?

Oh, and no I don't have Apple Care. I've Been an Apple consumer since the 90's and never had an issue this bad. If I was the only one experiencing this issue I would tell myself I was dumb for not getting it. Since it's a heavily widespread issue for this specific model, I feel that I shouldn't have to purchase Apple Care to have a functional computer.

Dec 18, 2009 8:33 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Well if the card is not soldered in and is upgradeable by someone who knows what they're doing, then I don't need to waste hundreds of dollars having someone else do it. That's why I was asking about the upgrade-ability.

Because this is such a widespread issue, I'm hoping someone can chime in that knows specifically about this model and this issue. I know where to get my computer fixed if I want to overpay, but quite frankly I don't think it's worth it if the repair will cost nearly as much as a new computer would.

Late 2006 Graphics Card Upgrade?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.