Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boot Camp Support for windows 7 - When ?

Apple has said it will support Windows 7 on existing Boot Camp partitions with a software update or updates before the end of this current year: does anyone know if these updates have been released and where one gets them and how you go about updating your Boot Camp partition so the Windows 7 upgrader will run properly ?

Do you install the updates via the Windows' "Apple Software Update" (while booted in Windows) or do you boot up in OS 10.6 and run "Software Uppdate" ??

Intel Imac 2.1 GHz - 20", Mac OS X (10.6.2), 2 Gb RAM

Posted on Dec 18, 2009 6:14 AM

7 replies

Dec 18, 2009 6:20 AM in response to Michael Bryan

No one who knows can say, but really, no one knows. And what was published seems to suggest driver updates (download or via Apple Windows Software Update, that would require BC 3.0x be present); and, EFI firmware updates if/as needed.

Does it matter much? most people find 7 works relatively well. AppleHFS is one area that has been found to trigger BSOD, and for now renaming seems less than ideal or acceptable.

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/windows/

Dec 18, 2009 6:56 AM in response to Michael Bryan

Michael Bryan wrote:
Apple has said it will support Windows 7 on existing Boot Camp partitions with a software update or updates before the end of this current year: does anyone know if these updates have been released and where one gets them and how you go about updating your Boot Camp partition so the Windows 7 upgrader will run properly ?

The Apple software release should handle all such issues.
Do you install the updates via the Windows' "Apple Software Update" (while >booted in Windows) or do you boot up in OS 10.6 and run "Software Uppdate" ??

No one knows for sure how it will work. It could be a two stage process as you suggest--update Boot Camp in Snow, and update Windows in Windows.

Dec 27, 2009 1:39 AM in response to The hatter

Yes it does seem to matter if you are like me and have a pre-2008 Macbook Pro which can't boot from the Windows 7 64 bit install CD. I am dearly hoping a Superdrive firmware update comes with this support so I can finally install on my bootcamp partition. I've been checking back daily. Apple don't have much more time to honour their "by the end of the year" assurance.

Dec 27, 2009 7:43 AM in response to Michael Bryan

Michael Bryan wrote:

Updates will be available who knows Win (pun intended). Both the Win7 intaller and upgrade disks will run properly now for many, even most. Check the posts on the Boot Camp forum for problems iMac users are having currently with black screens.
Do you install the updates via the Windows' "Apple Software Update" (while >booted in Windows) or do you boot up in OS 10.6 and run "Software Uppdate" ??

You would do them in 10.6 in all likelihood. But, when the updates become available, Apple will explain the procedure to be used.

Dec 27, 2009 2:40 PM in response to donv_the_ghost

When I try to update my Vista/Boot Camp partition to W-7 from within Vista, the W-7 upgrader program crashes in the first 30 seconds of it's run and of course the upgrade can't be accomplished.

I'm told the crash can be fixed by REMOVING -- with the Windows "add/remove programs" utility -- the app entitled - "BootCamp Services" from the Windows list of installed programs.

Am unsure however how to reinstall these "services" so I am awaiting eagerly a less risky fix by way of updates from Apple.

Boot Camp Support for windows 7 - When ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.