Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

High pitched-whiny noise from USB audio output

After upgrading from Leopard to Snow on my Mac Pro Tower, I now hear a high pitched whine from my speakers when running any audio app, like Itunes or Peak Pro. My audio output is thru the USB, to a Digital Analog Converter (an Aeolus Audio "MagiDAC"), which is then connected to a Yamaha stereo receiver and speakers). Pressing a key on the wired keyboard activates the sound. It is low in volume. I connected another stereo and still hear this sound, so it isn't my peripherals. I've tried using the other USB connection outputs, disconnected the wireless mouse (to eliminate RF from the mouse transmitter) to no avail.

Connecting my audio out thru the old fashioned 1/8" analog plug eliminates this sound. So it is somehow related to USB. I've also moved AC plugs around, although it doesn't sound like 60 cycle hum ( too high pitched), in case it was a ground loop. I would use the 1/8" analog outs, but the USB output thru the DAC sounds better. Help, and thanks in advance!

Mac Pro Tower 3,1, Mac OS X (10.6.2), 2 x 2.8 GHZ quad-core xenon, 4 gigs RAM

Posted on Dec 19, 2009 10:39 AM

4 replies

Jan 12, 2010 7:51 PM in response to Galactus484950

I'm a muso with an iMac running external KRK speakers via USB Mbox2. Previously I had a Macbook Pro exhibiting the same audio problem as iMac. I've been putting up with a very low volume, high pitch noise until now. I simply plugged the Mac power cord into a universal travel adapter which then goes into the wall. For Aussie users there is an adapter on ebay that will allow a 3 pin Aussie plug to go into female side and has a two pin Aussie male on the other. For US users you can probably get the same although there is a 59c product that will do the trick called a ground lift adapter. Applecare actually agreed this was the best fix and confirmed there would be no problems with power supply or Mac performance. What a gem ! God knows I've looked into all kinds of alternatives that could have cost hundreds instead of under $5.

High pitched-whiny noise from USB audio output

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.