Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Powerbook 5300

I have just aquired this immaculate powerbook but a. it has a flat battery and b, I don't have any software at all can anyone assist

mac mini i, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Dec 19, 2009 10:27 AM

8 replies

Dec 19, 2009 3:56 PM in response to snaggerdogg2

Hi,

Would it be correct to assume that the PowerBook does not have an operating system on the internal hard disk, and therefore does not start up to the Desktop?

Do you have a startup (boot) floppy, such as Disk Tools? Do you have access to another semi-old Macintosh computer (with a floppy drive)?

A bad main battery would not be unusual for a computer of this age. One thing to try could possibly be to reset the Power Manager.

If necessary, a full System 7.5.3 is available for download from Apple (e.g., the International English version here).

A manual for the PowerBook 5300 series can be found here.

Jan

Dec 21, 2009 8:04 AM in response to snaggerdogg2

Hello Ian,

If the PowerBook does not contain an operating system, you would need at least a startup floppy to begin with. The Disk Tools PPC here works with a PB 5300 series computer. The disk image in the download is of the NDIF type, which typically requires a Mac with a built-in floppy drive and Disk Copy 6.3.3 (the Make a Floppy command under the Utilities menu) running under Mac OS 9 or earlier. Do you have a friend with a suitable Macintosh? If necessary, you could perhaps contact a local user group for assistance.

Once you have a bootable Disk Tools floppy, it is possible to reformat the internal hard disk, if you so wish. Please note that only HFS = Standard can be used with System 7.5.3 (not HFS+ = Extended). A temporary operating system can often be obtained by dragging the system folder of a startup floppy to the empty hard disk (this will free the floppy drive for subsequent transfers).

The individual System 7.5.3 files (see above) can be drag-copied to 1.44 MB diskettes (the Disk Copy application is not used in this case). The idea is to transfer all twenty (International English) files to the PB 5300 hard disk. Once decoded, the (one .smi and nineteen .part) files are to be placed in a common folder. When one double-clicks on the first file (.smi), the entire large image will mount. The installer will be found in the mounted image.

Another option for the transfer of the twenty 7.5.3 files is to use a CompactFlash card in a PC Card adapter for CF (one example here).

Jan

Dec 26, 2009 7:28 PM in response to snaggerdogg2

Hi Jan,
Seasons greetings, and thanks for your assistance so far. Imagine my surprise when on Christmas morning I turned on my Powerbook 5300c only to find that it responded, and I found out that it was running OS 8.1. However the machine has a problem with the power supply in that it cuts out after 15 - 40 minutes of use, I can hear the crackling of a poor connection, so I'll need to have that fixed by the local Apple shop. The battery is absolutely dead! so it's either find a new one or ignore it, your advice here would be welcome. I have found lots of strange programmes installed, which when up and running properly I may ask about. By the way are you a male or female Jan?
Kindest regards
Ian

Dec 26, 2009 9:10 PM in response to snaggerdogg2

Hi Ian,

Good to hear that the machine started. Do not expect that the power supply can be repaired though; you will have to look for another one. It is per se possible to run a PowerBook 5300 without the main battery. However, the battery also helps keeping the correct date/time when the computer is disconnected from the mains. Do not use a defective battery. Unfortunately, it may be difficult to find really fresh batteries today.

Jan in this case is basically the same name as Ian or John.

Best wishes

Jan

Dec 28, 2009 10:59 AM in response to snaggerdogg2

Some later PowerBooks suffer from a potential fracture on the Power Inlet on the computer.

The repair is not complex -- it involves resoldering some fairly large connections from the jack to the board it is installed on, and requires very little skill. But depending on what had to be removed to gain access, it could be very complex indeed.

I previously guessed that a sharp blow to the power inlet caused these failures. I have come to believe that tripping on the power cord is a more likely cause. The Mag-Safe power cord (which disconnects when pressure is applied to the cord) in today's MacBooks is a stroke of genius!

Dec 28, 2009 2:55 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Hi Grant,

Some later PowerBooks suffer from a potential fracture on the Power Inlet on the computer.

Yes, the PowerBook 5300 would be one of them (I have a PB 190cs, which has an identical design, with a suspected fault of this kind).

In my previous message I was thinking about the AC adapter, but if the power supply problem instead is inside the computer, it would not be a bad idea to inspect solder joints near the 24 V DC inlet for possible cracks.

Regards,

Jan

Powerbook 5300

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.