Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dual layer DVD-ROM in a SuperDrive

I have a dual layer DVD-ROM created on a Pioneer USB dual layer burner. The disc plays fine in the Pioneer, but does not mount in the SuperDrive of my PowerBook or G5 tower. Should the standard SuperDrive be able to read the disc? It can read a dual layer movie disc without problem.

All the best,

Tom

Posted on Oct 12, 2005 6:24 AM

9 replies

Dec 25, 2005 2:44 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

I am having this strange problem as well. I burned a DVD+R DL on my LaCie burner, and it mounted on that burner and could be read. If I put the same disk into the Pioneer SuperDrive on my Dual Processor G5, it cannot be read. The disk is summarily ejected forthwith!

However, I do have some DL DVDs which came with FCP Apple Training Manuals published by PeachPit, and they read fine on the Pioneer SuperDrive.

I wonder why this is? Any answers?

Dr Hilary Rhodes

Dec 29, 2005 10:19 AM in response to hilofoz

I have burned 4 DL disks using iDVD 5, an iDVD patch, and a USB connected Pacific Digital burner. All disks play well in the burner and in my Sony DVD player. Both my G5 and ibook fail to recognize the DL disks. My Compaq laptop plays the opening for each of the disks, but won't "play the movie". I've used both Memorex and "GQ" DVD+R DL media.

Suggestions? Thanks

Dec 29, 2005 2:11 PM in response to Bramel

In my previous post I forgot to mention that the DL DVD I formatted is a DATA DVD burned using Toast and therefore the DVD I burned is not a video DVD and that is why I did not use iDVD to format it. The brand I use is imation, which I have found to be very reliable.

I have burned 4 DL disks using iDVD 5, an iDVD patch...

Hilary

Dec 31, 2005 1:20 PM in response to Kay Marczoch

I used Toast Titanium 7 on my G5 to burn this DATA DAVD on the external LaCie drive. The internal Pioneer superdrive, which as I previously stated, does read +disks, and has already done so. My brother suggested it may actually be media sensitive and that is why it does not read that particular DVD. I have had no trouble with the single layer DVDs at all.

Jan 7, 2006 6:46 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

I might be in the wrong forum, but what the heck. I have a similar problem. I have a two week old 17" PowerBook G4 with the new Superdrive that writes in DVD-DL. Anyway, I backed up a ton on data from a variety of computers I had around here (20 Dual-layer DVDs) by copying and pasting data to the DVD-DLs using the finder in Tiger. They work fine on the PowerBook but will not play on a 1st generation 20" iMac G5 (1.8 GHz, 1GB SDRAM, running 10.3.9) with a Superdrive. It just spits them out. I thought that older Superdrives could play (but not write to) DL DVDs. Any suggestions on how I can get them to play on older Macs with Superdrives (i.e. 867MHz PowerMac G4 Quicksilver, Flat Panel iMac G4s, and 1st generation iMac G5s)?
Thanks

Mar 5, 2006 8:03 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

I'm having the same/similar problem. I just got a dual layer burner for my PC and have burned 2 DL DVD+R discs, neither of which reads on my powerbook's super drive. Both disks work fine on my pc's "combo" (DVD/CD-r) drive and the "super" drive that burned the disc.

When I put the burned DL disc into my powerbook, it just tries to read it for a minute or two then spits it out. nothing ever shows up on the disc utility.

Dual layer DVD-ROM in a SuperDrive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.