Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Video out to TV - problems

Hi,

I am having trouble sending video to my TV with my Macbook.

My system:
Macbook G4 with OSX 10.4.11

My TV:
Sony Trinitron 32" (late model CRT) with component/composite/svideo

-I have the video adapter to convert the Mini DVI out to composite video.

-Upon reboot, system detects TV as 2nd display
-Something gets shown on the TV, a grey repeated mishmash which is still (not in motion)
-System selects 640x480/60hz as resolution for new 2nd display.
-Upon selecting "Detect Displays" (for the **** of it), the system loses connection with the tv (2nd display not recognized). I can only get a 2nd display detected when doing a reboot. Why is that?
-When cycling through the various resolutions and refresh rates, the grey mishmash on the TV changes, and you can see parts of the desktop peek through.
-Going through all the available resolutions and refresh rates without any success on the TV.
-Tried to search online for resolution and refresh rate information on the TV, not much success.

Posted on Dec 19, 2009 4:38 PM

7 replies

Dec 28, 2009 3:18 PM in response to I'mNeither

Your display may not be on the "approved" list, or was removed from it.

Apple's new MacBook lines includes a form of digital copy protection that will prevent protected media, such as DRM-infused iTunes movies, from playing back on devices that aren't compliant with the new priority protection measures.

The Intel-developed technology is called High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) and aims to prevent copying of digital audio and video content as it travels across a variety of display connectors, even if such copying is not in violation of fair use laws.

Among the connectors supported by the technology are the Mini DisplayPort found on Apple's latest MacBook, MacBook Pro, and MacBook Air, in addition to others such as Digital Visual Interface (DVI), High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI), Gigabit Video Interface (GVIF), and Unified Display Interface (UDI).

Apple has apparently acquired a license for the technology and is now using it across its DisplayPort-enabled MacBook lines to to prevent transmission of purchased iTunes content (and some DVDs) to devices that don't include support for HDCP.

Jan 19, 2010 12:28 AM in response to funkypoodle

hi, i recently did purchase a dynex mini dvi to s-video/composite cable adapter and am having problems getting picture on my standard def tv. all i get are black and white bars and shapes on the tv, and my macbook(2ghz intel core duo 2 purchased in november of 2007) shows the resolution for the second screen, and it changes the resolution on my macbook automatically, as soon as i connect the adapter, but like i said, all i get are those black and white bars moving. not sure if the adapter is defective, or if it is just not compatible. would buying the apple version be the best choice or fix?

Video out to TV - problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.