3 Replies Latest reply: Dec 23, 2009 6:46 PM by midtoad@shaw.ca
midtoad@shaw.ca Level 1 (25 points)
I want to use my Airport Express as a wireless card, connected to my Windows PC via ethernet cable, to allow that PC to connect to an ad-hoc wireless network (i.e. tether to my cellphone). I need to do this because my PC's wireless card doesn't work. Is this possible?

I have tried umpteen different combinations of settings and can't make a go of it (yet).

Any suggestions will be welcome.

iMac alu. 20", Powerbook 15", Mac Mini (server), original Macintosh, Touch 8GB, Mac OS X (10.6.2), Also, Ubuntu Linux, WinXP in Parallels
  • Bob Timmons Level 10 (98,319 points)
    Can you clarify if you have an AirPort Express "n"? If you are unsure, open AirPort Utility. There will be a message that says "AirPort Utility has found an AirPort Express with 802.11n

What device is creating the wireless network? Is this an 802.11 b, g, or n network?
  • Duane Level 10 (120,859 points)
    Sorry but that will not work. The AirPort Express (AX) can not connect to an ad-hoc network and provide an Ethernet connection. I would be surprised if the AX can even connect to an ad-hoc network.
  • midtoad@shaw.ca Level 1 (25 points)
    My AX is a 'g', and the phone it's trying to connect to is also a 'g'.

The other poster doesn't seem to think the AX can connect at all to an ad-hoc network.

I'm going to mark this as 'solved' even though my technical problem isn't resolved. Instead, I think I can tether my other mac to my phone via bluetooth. Just one of the advantages of using an Android phone (the other being I can use my Apple bluetooth keyboard with that phone).