Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Impossible Buying Credit on App Store

Is it just me, or are other people terribly annoyed with how difficult it is to purchase App Store/iTunes credit via the App Store app on the iPod Touch/iPhone?

1. Ideally, first what I would like to do is simply "buy credit". I like having credit on the store so if I see an App I want to buy, I have a pool of credit available to buy that app. I would like to go to a section of the App Store app and say "buy credit" and enter my credit card/debit card number to do a once-and-done purchase of credit. I don't want to have to go through the hassle of driving to a store to buy an iTunes gift card. I just want to do it online. But nowhere does it let you do this, either on the App Store app or on iTunes itself on my computer. I did not want to tie a credit card to my account; I wanted to have "credit" on the store.

2. Since #1 does not work, I tried a second option, which I really did not want to do but tried anyway. I enter a credit card number to tie it to my account. In essence, I gave in and tried to do it their way. But that didn't work either. It won't accept the 3-digit number I am trying to enter from the back of my debit card. It fails, both on iTunes and on the App Store app. Grrrrrr.....

3. So now I go to the store and buy a gift card (which I have done in the past but find inconvenient and wasteful to the environment). But I do it on the way to work, where I do NOT have iTunes installed on my computer. I want to be able to enter the gift card number via my iPod...such as through the App Store app. But **** it, it is like pulling teeth to figure out how to do this. Is it impossible to redeem credit through the App Store app? Is it only possible to do this on iTunes.

I love Apple, the Mac and the iPod to death, but this is the most annoying thing in the world. Why can't Apple make it 500% easier to buy App Store credit?

iPod Touch 2nd Gen, Mac OS X (10.6)

Posted on Dec 23, 2009 5:23 AM

11 replies

Dec 23, 2009 6:26 AM in response to roaminggnome

That had the answer to #3. Why they put they button at the bottom of the Featured screen on the App Store galls me. I mean, the button looks like an App itself rather than a feature of the App Store. It worked, but they really need to enhance both the App Store app and the iTunes app on the iPod Touch so that redeeming a gift card is a more easily accessible setting.

Thanks for your help with #3!

Dec 23, 2009 6:51 AM in response to oghmadharma

I don't want to have to go through the hassle of driving to a store to buy an iTunes gift card. I just want to do it online.

You can buy iTunes cards on line from a number of places including from the online Apple Store. You could also buy yourself a gift certificate through the iTunes Store; enter in your credit card information long enough to buy the certificate, then remove the CC information.

Note that if you're in Canada, you can't buy apps without a credit card; prepaid cards and gift certificates cannot be used.

Dec 25, 2009 1:54 PM in response to Colin Robinson

What law?

I'll concede that we have some foolish laws here but please don't just say, 'against the law'. What difference is there between apps and music?

If this is true, why can't something on some Apple documentation explain this? I've wasted multiple hours today trying to get this to work (not to mention the time spent getting the frickin' card).

Dec 25, 2009 3:59 PM in response to Colin Robinson

Legal stuff from the Apple side here:
http://www.apple.com/legal/itunes/appstore/ca/terms.html

10. PAYMENT METHODS. The Service accepts credit cards as the form of payment. Apple Canada may obtain a pre-approval from the credit card company for an amount up to the amount of the order. Billing to your credit card occurs at the time of purchase or shortly thereafter.
The Service accepts the following credit cards: Visa, MasterCard, and American Express.

So credit cards only for Apps, no mention of gift certificates.

Regards,
Colin R.

Dec 28, 2009 10:22 AM in response to Colin Robinson

Thanks. However, those have nothing to do with any laws.

Apple can choose to do business as it sees fit but there is no law that prohibits this. It is disappointing that they would hide behind the government's skirt and try to assign blame elsewhere.

This is from the document that I followed when creating the account.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2534
Create an iTunes App Store account without a credit card

To create an iTunes App Store account without a credit card please follow the steps below. In order to create an account without a credit card, you must make sure you are in the App Store, not the iTunes Store.

When you follow this, you have option to choose 'None', even in Canada. This document is new. It was published in September 2009, after those terms that you quote were updated.

FWIW, when you set up the account, it accepts the gift card number and creates the account with the appropriate credits. When you attempt to purchase the app, it loops you back without explanation. It is very frustrating. Given how much the company likes to use the App Store in their marketing approach, it would be worth some effort to be clear on this.

Regarding the terms, I have read them (the account creation terms) but not since they were most recently updated. It isn't possible to read them at the time of account creation because you will be timed out before you could complete your reading (which happened the first time). As per my text editor, there are over 10000 words in that document. There is no 'changes since we updated this' section to make it simple.

Remember also that the account creation page is specific to Canada. There are multiple instances where the system tells you that you can't do that from there. Why not this? Apple could have made this easy. It is very weak to justify poor design and disregard by claiming something is in the terms somewhere (after claiming it's the law). Of course, it also says nothing on the gift card itself.

All in all, this has been a dismal and frustrating experience that could have been prevented by simply stating this up front.

Jan 2, 2010 3:36 AM in response to oghmadharma

It is not any Canadian law, it's simply Apple policy.
itunes gift cards in Canada are only for music & video, not apps.

Other stores like Nintendo and Xbox allow gift cards for apps in Canada, but not Apple. For whatever their reasons may be. It's just the way it is, like some stores allow returns within 2 weeks, others allow returns within 30 or 90 days. Don't shop there if you don't like the policy.

If you mistakenly bought an itunes gift card thinking it could be used for apps, since older ones are not marked correctly, ask for a refund like Jim Whitelaw did.
http://www.jimwhitelaw.com/2009/09/itunes-credit-in-canada.html

Impossible Buying Credit on App Store

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.