Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Rosetta download

I have been advised by Epson that in order to fully utilise all features on my Epson CX6400 whilst operating under OS X 10.6.2, I need to download Rosetta.
I understand that on most occasions if Rosetta is determined to be required by a particular program, I should be prompted to download it however, this prompt does not appear when I attempt to access the Epson driver.
Can someone please tell me where I can download a copy of Rosetta as I have searched the Apple website without success?
Thank you.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Dec 23, 2009 8:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 23, 2009 8:32 AM

if this prompt does not appear you may have rosetta installed already. that prompt would indeed appear any time you try to run a PPC app if rosetta is not installed. if you are not sure you can always install it off the snow leopard DVD. open the DVD in finder and double-click on optional installs->optional installs.mpkg. follow the instructions and on the screen with the choice of things to install choose Rosetta.
8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 23, 2009 8:32 AM in response to David and Sarah

if this prompt does not appear you may have rosetta installed already. that prompt would indeed appear any time you try to run a PPC app if rosetta is not installed. if you are not sure you can always install it off the snow leopard DVD. open the DVD in finder and double-click on optional installs->optional installs.mpkg. follow the instructions and on the screen with the choice of things to install choose Rosetta.

Dec 26, 2009 9:49 AM in response to David and Sarah

David and Sarah wrote:
Thank you for the advice.
Unfortunately I'm away from home at the moment and don't have access to the installer disks. Is there an online location from which Rosetta can be downloaded?

not manually. but if you run a PPC program then you'll get a system prompt to download it and it will do it for you. so get a PPC app. you may have one already. go to apple menu->about this mac->more info->applications. see if there are any PPC apps. if there is one start it and see if it runs. if it does you have rosetta already. otherwise the system will offer to download it.

Dec 29, 2009 6:38 AM in response to David and Sarah

I have noticed on *_some applications_* when I do a get info, right under "Label" is a little check box, and it says "open using Rosetta". I am looking at one now, and its (Universal), others don't have this.

So I guess my point is that unless its checked, it will not be running under Rosetta. In other words, it sounds like it will run without Rosetta, so with the box checked it will be forced to run under Rosetta. Might want to call them back, and ask How?

Dec 29, 2009 6:59 AM in response to Dakota

You should see this check box for all normal Universal apps. That's what the "(Universal)" suffix means: the app contains both PPC & Intel code so it can run on either kind of Mac. PPC Macs automatically use the PPC code (because it is the only code they can use) & Intel Macs default to using the Intel code (because it is faster & more efficient). However, if for some reason you need to run the PPC code on an Intel Mac (like to use a PPC plugin), you can do so using Rosetta by checking this box.

Feb 7, 2010 10:08 AM in response to R C-R

Thank you to all for your assistance in resolving this issue.

I suspected that Rosetta was already installed as I ran a number of PPC apps, as suggested, without difficulty however the Epson tech's were adamant that I needed Rosetta to run their software, which for some reason wasn't working correctly. Furthermore, 'Spotlight' didn't show up any results to indicate where Rosetta was residing and the tech's were therefore not convinced that it was in installed at all!

To assist in the troubleshooting I followed the advice given in the replies to my post and installed Rosetta from the OS X Snow Leopard install disk. The Epson device now works as it should and I have had no further issues.

Thanks again - much appreciated.

David.

Rosetta download

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.