Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Considering buying 128GB PATA SSD for 12" PowerBook G4

Yeah why not. I rather do that for the time being I know Apple is about to introduce New MacBook Pros with Intel "Arrandale" Quad Processors. I still like the Powerbook G4 it may be a little slow but it is stable in processing. I never had a crash. I like to see this go max on storage speed. We all seen the MacBook Air with SSD, but would it be nice to see the PowerBook G4 with SSD. This 12-inch PowerBook G4 with 128GB SSD will be my Apple version of the Net-book.

Message was edited by: LE Studios

12-inch PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz) 80GB 8X SuperDrive, Mac OS X (10.5.8), Two 2TB WD Studio External HD [2TB (iTunes) 2TB (Time Machine)]

Posted on Dec 23, 2009 7:59 PM

56 replies

Jan 24, 2010 9:28 PM in response to LE Studios

I'm in the exact boat you're in...I love my 12" powerbook and do NOT ever want to give it up, but then again it is lacking on speed a little. I think I'm going to buy an SSD drive and see if it helps. Though the 128gb size would be awesome, I think I'm going to either get the Transend 64gb (MLC version) or the Transend 32gb (SLC version)...I'm not sure what the difference is between the MLC and SLC, though I'm told SLC is a ton better which is why I'm considering it. The downside is the 32gb SLC version costs the same as the 128gb MLC version.

Let me know how your upgrade goes...I'm gonna purchase mine soon too, I'll post my experience with it!

Feb 3, 2010 10:34 AM in response to Snakedoc1306

Did anyone pull off installing an SSD on the G4 PB? I am really interested in doing it (though now with the iPad coming maybe it's just plain old dumb) and wonder if it works okay. I had read up on it a while back and remember there was some issue with hooking up an SSD to these older PB's. I do love this little old computer and it'd be fun to keep it going. Perfect as a second machine for not too heavy CPU tasks. Wish I could decrease the heat a little, but the hard-drive upgrade wouldn't really effect that would it?

ps- I'm finding Firefox 3.6 runs a lot better on it than Safari. Lots of beach-balling in Safari 4.0

Feb 5, 2010 3:23 PM in response to LE Studios

Hi,

I recently upgraded a first-generation 17" PowerBook G4 with a 64GB PATA SSD found on eBay (Chinese make "SSDFactory", which gives quite good performance at a low price).
The upgrade went really smoothly and is really worth the price. However I'm now getting random crashes at wake-up after sleep (computer freezes completely after about 5sec, without any clue in the system logs).

Still seeking for a solution, changing the Energy Saver settings did help but not solve the problem. If anyone has a clue, I'd be happy to share my results...

Apr 5, 2010 8:49 AM in response to Cyril Bornet

I recently purchased a g4 titanium PowerBook 15" at 867mhz and 1gb ram.
Obvious that the included 40gb drive at 4200rpm is slow. Looking at the kingspec 32gb SSD.

Same question as everyone else. Did you see a worthwhile performance boost from your install? Even with the crashes?!?!

I'm running leopard 10.5.8 and hope that resolves

Apr 6, 2010 1:27 PM in response to LE Studios

Here are a couple of things to keep in mind as you consider installing an SSD in your laptop:
1. Cost per GB
2. Long term performance
The cost per GB matters in that it limits the size of the HDD you can afford. Because of the architecture of SSD drives, the amount of available capacity is very important. If your drive will be used simply as a boot drive, for running the OS and launching, running and updating apps you will notice the greatest difference in terms of performance. If it will be doing a lot of reading and writing performance will be affected as the drive fills up.

The more data you store on an SSD drive the slower the drive becomes. The deleting and overwrite function of the SSD is different to the HDD, and that's the rub. To be able to recover the space from deleted files to have them usable for writing new files one has to secure erase the entire drive.

Those who have asked for other user experiences are wise, because these drives work differently to HDDs, and the same rules do not apply. I would want to think about the long term benefits of buying a 128 GB SSD over a 320 GB HDD, both cost-wise and performance-wise before deciding.

😉 cornelius

Apr 6, 2010 7:24 PM in response to cornelius

Thanks for the info on basic HDD and SSD differences, as well as cost per GB.

I've searched and searched but no real consensus to the question.
Is there a performance (not just boot and app launch time) gain with SSDs for PATA interface?

From what I've read.
- both an SSD or 5400rpm ATA drive will speed up my G4 powerbook. Simply because the drive that shipped originally is 4200rpm.
- the IDE interface really limits the additional performance you'd receive vs. an SSD on SATA
- Boot and Application launch times will see a performance gain for SSD and new 5400rpm ATA drive

Anyone with some real experience?

I've got a G4 Titanium Powerbook at 867mhz and maxed ram at 1gb with original 40gb PATA at 4200rpm drive. I believe it came with Tiger, but I immediately installed Leopard 10.5.8. Performance is dismal (fresh install, 20GB used/20GB free). Browsing, the finder, etc...all very slow. I've gone through just about every software tweak and file slimming method there is.

Apr 7, 2010 8:11 AM in response to hsmp

hsmp:

I've got a G4 Titanium Powerbook at 867mhz and maxed ram at 1gb with original 40gb PATA at 4200rpm drive.

While 867 MHz meets the minimum requirement for Leopard, it just barely does. There is no way to boost the processor speed, but you can improve performance a bit. Maxxing out the RAM is a good move in that direction. The next step is to install a new HDD. Two good reasons for that: 1. The average life of a laptop HDD is 3 to 5 years, which means yours is on borrowed time. As drives age they slow up. The thin coat of lubricant on the platter thickens with age and heat and becomes gummy, spins out to the edge of the platter causing the heads to stick in accessing the drive. In addition, the hydroseal bearings ride in lubricant, which also thickens and breaks down with age. 2. Not only is your HDD 4200 rpm, but it is a mere 40 GB. Getting a larger capacity 5400 rpm GB will not only increase rotational speed, but it will increase the areal density, allowing the heads to read more data on each rotation of the platter, thus speeding up read/write time.
I believe it came with Tiger, but I immediately installed Leopard 10.5.8.

Your computer was originally released with Jaguar (OS X 10.2x), so Leopard is a big jump. As noted, it does meet the minimal procesor speed, but barely.

An SSD may help you boost performance initially, particularly as a boot drive. However, I think your money will be better spent getting a larger capacity HDD. Installing a 160 GB, 250 GB or 320 GB HDD 5400 rpm will make a noticeable difference, and it will cost you less than $100 for the drive, and you can likely install it yourself.

Please do post back if you have further questions.

😉 cornelius

Apr 8, 2010 6:34 PM in response to cornelius

Bare minimum I know 🙂 Actually, I was pretty happy that I could make it to the last version of power pc OS X available.

Great info on hard drives. Density of data on the platter was something I didn't consider. Very appreciated.

I've made the decision and going with a larger ATA drive at 5400rpm.
And while I believe I'll see a performance gain...I'm just hoping it will be enough to tolerate the powerbook.

Apr 8, 2010 7:06 PM in response to hsmp

I'm just hoping it will be enough to tolerate the powerbook.

I can't promise that the newer, larger capacity HDD will totally compensate for the slower processor. It can't. What it will do is give a bit of a boost to the performance. If Leo still does not perform in a satisfactory manner you can go back to Tiger, and it will perform better than ever. However, we'll wait and see what the new HDD does for Leo before crossing that bridge.

😉 cornelius

Apr 24, 2010 7:50 AM in response to cornelius

Hi - I'm new to the forum, and just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread. It has helped me a lot. I love my 12" PB and, although it is at max processor and max memory, it is getting a little slow. Still I wouldn't change it. It does fine for simple browsing and mobile working.

Thanks again - Mike

Sep 5, 2010 9:05 PM in response to LE Studios

Awesome. I've been thinking about doing this also (I'll never be able to give up the 12"). I think 5400 rpm drives are too hot for the 12", my fan almost constantly runs. I upgraded to a 250gb 5400 rpm drive but I'm thinking about upgrading again; this time replacing the optical drive with an optibay and installing a 32gb ssd boot drive. I'm hoping this would speed things up and reduce a little heat. Maybe even reduce weight?

Sep 16, 2010 5:08 AM in response to LE Studios

hey there, i'm interested in upgrading the HD on my 12'' PB as well, i just bought one today in pretty mint condition for only $300 and i'm in LOVE with it and could not imagine upgrading anytime soon, although the hard drive is a bit small. Has anyone dealt with upgrading the HD, the 128ssd?? also does anyone know where I might find a hardshell case for the PB

Considering buying 128GB PATA SSD for 12" PowerBook G4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.