Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is Mac Mini Fan high and loud after adding RAM?

I have a Mac Mini 1.66GHz with Intel Core Duo (80GB hard drive). I just upgraded the RAM from 1GB to 2GB with Crucial RAM (good quality). I followed the instructions from various websites and the installation was snap (literally and figuratively). After reconnecting and booting up the first time I PRAMed the unit. After it booted up the fan went into high mode. Hasn't stopped. As far as I know there are no obstructions and the one wire was reconnected. Any advice or is this symptomatic of the upgrade? The mac was always silent prior to the upgrade. The mac is reading all the memory (About Mac). Thoughts?

MacMini Intel, Mac OS X (10.4.11), Mac Mini 1.66GHz with Intel Core Duo

Posted on Dec 24, 2009 10:35 AM

2 replies

Dec 24, 2009 11:09 AM in response to raynan

Answer to myself (that was quick). I reopened the Mini. When I loaded the RAM I had removed a connector near the Airport card. I had reaffixed it prior to reassembling the Mini. What I did NOT do is reconnect the connector by the battery (in fact I did not disconnect this to begin with- a big mistake that could have been fatal. This is the connector that needs to be disconnected before pulling out the Mini to expose the RAM. It had become disconnected on its own.) After I reconnected this connector and reassembled everything, the Mini is now humming quietly.

Why is Mac Mini Fan high and loud after adding RAM?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.