You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Converting ipod nano to windows and back

My brother wishes to borrow my nano and is a pc user. My music is obviously backed up, so not worried about losing that, but can he change the format to windows, and then I change it back to mac without the device losing the plot? Anyone had any experience with this?

macbook/iphone/nano, Mac OS X (10.6.1)

Posted on Dec 27, 2009 4:23 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2009 4:29 AM

If the iPod is Mac formatted it needs to be connected to the PC and restored in iTunes for Windows. Restoring will erase and reformat the iPod's hard drive, reload the software with the Windows version and put it back to default settings. To return it to Mac format it should be connected to iTunes for Mac and restored again.: Restoring iPod to factory settings with iTunes.
4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 27, 2009 4:29 AM in response to brigc

If the iPod is Mac formatted it needs to be connected to the PC and restored in iTunes for Windows. Restoring will erase and reformat the iPod's hard drive, reload the software with the Windows version and put it back to default settings. To return it to Mac format it should be connected to iTunes for Mac and restored again.: Restoring iPod to factory settings with iTunes.

Converting ipod nano to windows and back

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.