Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Magic Mouse - Should You Switch It Off?

I don't quite understand the power switch on the underside of the Magic Mouse. What's it for?

Are you supposed to switch the Magic Mouse off when it's not in use? For example, before you go to bed, are you supposed to turn your Magic Mouse off, and then turn it on again in the morning? Or is it ok to leave it on all night?

I can't find any information from Apple on the subject.

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2009, Week 47), 3.06GHz, 4GB RAM, Mac OS X (10.6.2), iPhone 3GS (16GB), Apple TV (40GB)

Posted on Dec 27, 2009 6:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2009 7:09 AM

I have not turned mine off for the 1 month I've had my 27" imac. It still shows 60% batt life left.
I tried to shut it off the first day I owned the new set-up and it would "wake" the computer so then I just left it on always. I don't know what apple recommends.
6 replies

Dec 27, 2009 7:32 AM in response to Reuben Feffer

It is not a matter of never supposed to turn it off, but of never having to turn it off with normal use with the same Mac in a Desktop setting. If you carted the MM around to use with a laptop you would want to turn it off before storing it in a briefcase or backpack, etc. The instructions for replacing the batteries say to turn it off first.

The green paint shows that the switch is in the on position. Plus there is a tiny green LED that signals various things, such as that it is powered on or flashing when the MM is in discovery mode.

Dah•veed

Dec 27, 2009 7:38 AM in response to Reuben Feffer

I also wonder what the on/off button is for. The only time it is turned off is when I am gone for a few days. When the computer is off the light goes off automatically. Don't know if it goes to sleep then. Without the computer on there is nothing for the green light to communicate with. SO it uses no battery life. I have had mine for 2 months and it is at 67&

Jan 7, 2010 1:09 PM in response to yukialbany

Remember, the mouse will shut itself off if inactive for a period of minutes -- even when the power button is in the "on" position. However, if you're carting it around in a bag, the motion picked-up by the laser will reactivate the mouse. Thus, it's best to turn the mouse off when transporting it around and okay to leave the switch to "on" when it's sitting motionless.

Magic Mouse - Should You Switch It Off?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.