Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slow Download Speeds

I have tried to download a couple of different things recently but the speed is painfully slow.

iTunes 12 days of xmas video today is saying it will take 8 hours!
Free single of the week a painful 25 mins!

I also get the same problem using Front Row.

Internet link is via airport and according to most recent check (via speedtest.net) I am getting 6.21Mbps performance.

Things haven't always been this slow, which is why I have noticed such a change.

I have tried restarting several, times.
Can anyone offer any advice / help?

MacBook Pro 17", Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Dec 27, 2009 7:29 AM

18 replies

Dec 28, 2009 2:00 AM in response to Andy Eastwood

I've had the exact same issue for the past couple of weeks.

I'm currently downloading Trival Pursuit; with 20mb left to download it says it's going to take another 48 minutes.

My internet speed isn't the greatest but downloads through Safari and Firefox are much faster.

It would be nice if Apple acknowledged something is up because quite a lot of people on twitter are reporting the same issue.

Dec 30, 2009 11:07 AM in response to Andy Eastwood

I'm having the exact same problem, just did a search to see if it was a known problem with itunes or just me. My download speeds are fine for everything else but itunes is taking upwards of 2 hours to download one song from the 12 days series. Trivial pursuit the other day took 8 hours to download to my laptop!

This is the first time I've used itunes to download anything and I don't think I'll be using it again once the 12 freebies are finished if this is how painful it is.

Dec 31, 2009 8:43 AM in response to Andy Eastwood

I am leaving my computer on, downloading the free movie offering. I am not exaggerating when I say it wont be finished till next year! I started the download about half an hour ago and it is telling me that the download will finish in 36 hours time!!! I kid you not!! (I'd upload a screen shot if only I knew how to).

Come on Apple - seriously! This is a joke.

Happy slow downloading New Year!

Dec 31, 2009 9:52 AM in response to Andy Eastwood

Lesbian Vampire Killers downloaded in 30 minutes here so it's not a universal problem - the boards would be flooded with complaints if it was!

Have to tried resetting/rebooting your router/mac?

Have you asked your ISP if they are throttling traffic?

I'm with Zen in Norwich and all the 12 days of Christmas promos have downloaded successfully (so far).

Regards,
Colin R.

Jan 3, 2010 9:36 AM in response to Colin Robinson

Well at present the Vampire Killers movie is STILL going and apparently has 50 hours to go. Leona Lewis Happy has been going all day (with regular drops so I have to keep restarting) and has 5 hours to go.

The problem isn't my computer, router or ISP speeds as everything else is working just fine at the usual fast speeds.

I'm in Suffolk and my ISP is Orange.

Jan 3, 2010 9:46 AM in response to gswane

Similar experience here: the Outnumbered episode is registering 17 hours until completion. Just for reference, a few podcasts updated in iTunes just now and downloaded in less than two minutes -- the kind of speed I would typically expect -- indicating that the problem is not my connection.

What's particularly irritating about this experience is that should one decide to give up and just cancel a download, it can't be done permanently, and will keep reappearing; additionally, this means (at least I assume this is the cause) that each time I launch iTunes or just wake my iPhone, they prompt me for my iTMS password in order to resume the download.

Jan 3, 2010 10:38 AM in response to Jonathan Mitchell

I'm having exactly the same trouble. Ran a speedtest and the results are fine. Web pages are loading as normal but iTunes downloads are averaging between 40-60 kb/sec. Interestingly, my ISP is also Orange. Could someone from Apple or anyone with possible causes/solutions please reply to this thread rather than just more and more people saying they have the same problem!

Slow Download Speeds

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.